S-Video...legit?

DrWho

So I need a longer S-Video cable to go between my computer and monitor (20+ feet) and I came across this website:

http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&id=ID1637719&partno=70702&search=SVIDEO&rsite=pccables.com&rcode=

Just wondering if anyone else thinks this is legit - or what am I

missing here? Other cables on other websites are going anywhere between

$20 and $80 for this length of cable. Is this something crappy that I'm

gonna want to get rid of?

DrWho,

The 1st cable reads like the el-cheapo you get from a free satellite hook-up, the 2nd is a company I've been considering purchasing from, but feared they were wholesalers and wouldn't sell to me directly. The cable from Provantage is this one: http://www.impactacoustics.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=701&sku=29160 and the price looks like it is in fact the wholesale price, check Provantage's site for minimum purchases, etc. so there are no surprises. The S-video cable is a low end one from Impactacoustics, you are correct in noting that cables of that length are considerable more expensive. Best of Luck!

I had purchased 75ft of S-Video from pccables.com nearly 3 years ago and they were perfect for hooking up my computer to my tv when I used to watch divx rips off of it. I doubt that there will be a significant picture quality difference between these and others.

I have recently been purchasing my cables from monoprice.com and have been extremely happy with them. Here is a link to a 25 foot svideo cable, price is around $4.00 plus s/h.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10207&cs_id=1020701&p_id=2415&seq=1&format=2&style=

Dont be fooled by the price. I bought a 50 foot HDMI cable for around $35 I think. The cable wighed about 10 pounds, and is very thick and stiff. It works great. I also have 50 foot runs of toslink and coaxial digital cables and they work fantastic. And the prices are great, shipping is very reasonable, and they ship very promptly!

DrWHO,

I would "consider" the slightly more expensive option,as it is not expensive at all.And the first option is simply a cheapo S-Video cable,as cheap as it gets or close.

In any case the "expensive" option is very inexpensive and you will have better shielding and probably better wire,equating less loss.

Ya, that's what I'm trying to figure out now...what corners were being

cut to provide a product for so cheap. And of the corners being cut,

what will the actual effect on performance be. I can understand the

durability issue, but I don't plan on ever moving this cable (for at

least a year)...I'm more concerned about the picture quality, but I'm

definetly not in the "wire matters" camp so I'm curious what could be

measured to determine if it's good enough for my situation.

With most(almost all)low quality wiring,and in the case of video wiring.Shielding is of the highest importance as you will see the interferance .

The El Cheapo S-Video wiring looks to be poorly shielded from the thickness of the wire alone.And at this price do not expect any serious R&D being put into thse cables.

The basic quality inexpensive but well shielded wiring will be a good investment.For the shielding alone.The signal wires I cannot say are of superior conducivity with the slightly more expensive wires in your link.

The issue at this price is shielding above all.As the run of wire is not so long as to cause a signal degradation because of the signal wire(unless of extreme ...lousy quality).

My two cents