MARK III MODS, NEW DRIVER AND CAP BOARDS

DRBILL

I just finished replacing my Curcio capboards and driverboards. They were not bad, but they were not what I had hoped they would be after a couple of years of careful listening. I replaced them with Triode Electronics (Uncle Ned's) boards. The capboards were a piece of cake. Assembled and installed in an afternoon. The driver boards were another thing. This is a new, inhanced version which allows for dual bias controls and AC balance controls and has jumpers that will allow you to select from a huge tube list. If you are into tube rolling, this is your big chance!

As wonderful as this is, they seemed to have spliced together their old manual instead of writing a new one specifically for this new board. This made for some omissions and some confusing information. I ordered the board and parts kit. Between the two, the order was either short 16 items or contained items of the wrong value. When yours arrive, immediately do a parts inventory!

This is certainly not a kit for a novice. I had to hunker down and follow the traces to make sure where the jumpers and many parts went.

I selected the 5814s for my tube options (4), and the AC balance option. I may add the dual bias controls later.

Was it worth it? You bet it was! The improvement in sound (and this is subjective) was as much as the improvement the Crites tweeters and crossovers made. No more muddy mids and pinched bass. It is a thumbs up.

Just keep in mind that this is a start-up for Triode and they have had some difficulties which are being rectified. I paid a small price in inconvenience in order to be the first kid on the block. As time passes, I'm sure all will be well. They have been very prompt and cooperative in making things right.

DRBILL

LARRY,

I did that a while back. I did the two network boards and the power supply board. I was a little disappointed with it. There was still residual hum that was less than before but still audible. My biggest problem with the FM-3 was tuning. This design presumed an age of very few stations and a lot of space between them. Here in the Fort Worth-Dallas "Metroplex" the FM band is full from one end to the other. Adjacent station rejection is really poor with the FM-3. So, I boxed mine and put it away. I use a Factory Dynaco solid state tuner. I get a lot of razzing from my friends and family. There ARE some things that solid state does better.

DRBILL

"it is amazing how few parts these amps really have"

SPEAKERFRITZ,

Yes. While I was working on the MARK IIIs I returned my Williamsons to service. I keep them on a shelf to loan out while I'm waiting for parts for clients' equipment. Talk about SPARSE, when you turn these over you think you've been robbed!

I think they are the best sounding all-around amplifiers I have ever seen. That "first magic watt" is stunning. So, why, you might ask, are these not my regular amps? TWENTY WATTS! I listen to a lot of heavy pipe organ music. When the 32' Principals kick in, the Williamsons flutter. But I do use one for my center speaker.

DRBILL

DRBILL

I like the sound of those boards myself Dr Bill. I got some of the first ones this spring after they sat on back order since November. That's the nice thing about Triode, they don't bill until the item is shipped. When the newly designed boards finally came in, they called me before shipping to make sure I still wanted them. Nice touch.

I am running Mullard 12AU7s with RCA 12BH7A black plates for splitters. With my beafy power supply and these driver boards, the amps sound little like a stock Mark III. Much better than the other boards I tried. Yes the documentation was a little weak yet it was ten times better than the other guys. Joe Curcio takes the prize for hard documentation.Shannon Parks is the overall winner with very good hard documentation and readily available help on his forum.

fini, Shannon's boards would be the ones I'd recommend for you. The only hassle is chasing the parts.

That's good! I have 'em in hand. You know, before he made the Poseidon, Shannon sent me a pair of modified ST-70 boards to use in the MK-IVs. In addition, he sent some PWK memorabilia. Then, when the Poseidon was introduced, he sent a pair, no charge! Good thing I'm so good at procrastinating...

"I like the sound of those boards myself Dr Bill. I got some of the first ones this spring after they sat on back order since November".

DEAR 3-D,

Were you able to find trimmer pots for the AC balance? I found some on the West Coast. I had to buy a minimum lot of ten. So, if you need some, drop me a PM.

DRBILL

Risingjay,

Where to start? If your cap boards are performing to suit you, keep them. One of mine failed ten minutes after the initial power up. It was a dud electrolytic cap. Unfortunately, the short worked its way forward and caused considerable damage on the driver board. Joe was no help. He blamed me for not following instructions, wiring errors, etc. NOT! After everything was settled, there was hum. I was glad to get rid of them.

But yes. If your power supply is fine, the TRIODE board will work with it. The more I listen to mine, the more impressed I get. It is like a canvass. You can paint it to suit you with the options you choose. The choice of tubes, alone, boggles the mind!

DRBILL