How are Samsung TVs?

Kain

Well, I had decided on the Sony 34" WEGA non-HDTV. But then I just found out that Samsung does offer HDTVs in the UAE. Now I am stuck between these two TVs.

Can you please click here and tell which is the best 43" HDTV, one that is a NOT Plasma TV: http://samsungelectronics.com/mea/english/index_tantus.htm

Overall, how are Samsung TVs?

Secondly, my room is about 10ft (W) and about 13-14ft (L), with a 43" Projection TV be okay in this small room? Or should I stick to 34" Direct View TVs?

------------------

Home Theater (getting soon):

TV: Sony KV-ES34M80 (34" FD Trinitron WEGA)

DVD Player: Toshiba SD-5200

VCR: Sony SLV-ED100 (Hi-Fi VCR)

Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (230V version of Denon AVR-4802)

Speakers -

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Okay, which of the following TVs is the best:

1. Sony KV-ES34M80

2. Samsung SP-43L2FX

3. Sony KP-ES43

------------------

Speakers -

i would go with the samsung because it is has an LCD display... very thin and nice crisp picture. it is also wide screen which will be the best for DVD. also has progressive scanning (requires a progressive scan source, eg. nice dvd player) High Definition too.

yeah, i would go for the samsung. after that the larger 43" sony... mostly because it is 9 inches larger! too bad it is projection, but, projection is not nearly what it used to be.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

Consumer reports magazine (this month) rates the samsung tsl2795hf (27") HD ready as one of the better buys for HD ready sets.

I know you're not looking at the smaller 27" set but its high score may be an idication of how the larger samsung sets might rate.

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

HK AVR 510 (reciever - coming soon!)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV)

Albany.gif

Thanks for the replies. I have few more questions now. Smile.gif

1. The Samsung LCD Projection TV has better picture quality than "normal" Projection TVs, right?

2. My seating arrangement is in a "L" shape, I am worried that the people who sit on the side seating may not be able to get a clear picture since Projection TVs are best seen from the front. Any comments/opinions on this?

3. How far should I sit from the Samsung LCD Projection TV?

------------------

Speakers -

Oh, and one more thing.

Are you sure that the Samsung SP-43L2FX TV is a HDTV? I am asking this because it just says "XGA (1024x768) High Definition Resolution" and not something like "Digital Ready TV - High Definition" which it says on its Plasma TVs.

But I do think it is a HDTV because it supports Progressive Scan.

So, is it really a HDTV?

------------------

TV: Samsung SP-43L2FX (43" LCD Projection HDTV)

DVD Player: Toshiba SD-900E (Progressive Scan DVD Player)

VCR: Sony SLV-ED100 (HiFi VCR)

Speakers -

Here is a ton of info... hope not too much. In a nut shell, it sounds like that is a kick arse TV that can do HDTV and because it is an LCD Projection you should be able to sit pretty much anywhere and see a really good picture.

------------------------------------------------------

Here are the specs for that TV

· World First Ferro-Electric LCD

· XGA (1,024*768) High Definition Resolution

· 720 Progressive Scan

· Compact, Slim & Light Nature

· Dolby Pro-Logic Surround

· 3D Digital Comb Filter

· Digital Noise Reduction

· Nicam/German Stereo

· 5 Band Sound Equalizer

· 2 Tuner Multi PIP

· PC, DVD, STB Input

· 512 Page Teletext

· 5 Picture & 5 sound Modes

· CATV & Hyper Band Ready

· Super VHS Input

· Anti Glaring Screen

· User-friendly Graphic Interface

Here is what is generally required for HDTV compatability

720p and 480p native resolutions with a 16:9 aspect ratio.

So, going by specs it should be HDTV compatible... might not have a HDTV reciever though.

Here is some more reading that further makes me believe it is HDTV compatable...

Anaheim, CA -- Samsung Electronics America, Inc., will officially announce the expansion of their product line into the professional video display market, with a full line of HDTV video format displays at INFOCOMM International 2000, June 15-17. Samsung's line ranges from TFT LCD Monitors, Rear Projection Monitors and Videowall Cubes to Plasma Displays. INFOCOMM 2000, a showcase of breaking visual and audio communications technology, is the perfect time to highlight Samsung's entrance in to the professional video market. Samsung will be at Booth #2875, showcasing HDTV format displays and projection devices based on Ferro-electric Liquid Crystal Displays (f)LCD with Samsung's patented Reflective Light Drive optical engine. The display products will range from Plasma to TFT LCD.

Samsung will leverage is leadership in Flat Panel Display (FPD) manufacturing by offering a range of FPD technologies. Among these is the (f)LCD (ferro-electric LCD), a reflective device developed by DisplayTech Incorporated. The (f)LCD combined with Samsung's highly efficient, patented optical system allow for high resolution, lightweight and thin footprint design of rear projection displays and video walls. Samsung is the first manufacturer to successfully commercialize an (f)LCD based product.

Samsung has lead the FPD industry in TFT display manufacturing and is now introducing a 24" wide UXGA component for it's initial monitor product. Also, coming from its manufacturing lines are a range of PLASMA displays in 37", 42" and 50" products.

Samsung's extensive experience in Digital TV development will help position them as a prominent leader of high definition products in the professional market. Samsung, familiar with professional products in Korea, sold the Broadcast Industry's first HDTV Integrated Receiver Decoder in the US in October '98 - now in its second generation and currently sold by partner Harris Corporation as the ARX-H200. Samsung's accomplishments in the consumer market include the launch of the market's first integrated HDTV set in November '98 and the launch of an DTV Set-top box for receiving terrestrial DTV signals.

HDTV, 16:9, XGA compatible video wall cubes utilizing

Samsung's patented (f)LCD optical system, will also make a prominent statement at the Samsung booth. Building on Samsung's experience in HDTV development, these video wall cubes are driven by a native 720P (1280 x 720) (f)LCD system, compatible with all 18 ATSC approved DTV formats as well as VGA-XGA computer resolutions. Among the many unique features of this groundbreaking product is a built-in image processor, eliminating the need for an external video splitter/processor to deliver the "Big Picture." Available within Q3, users will have the option of a 43" or 50" model.

Hope this helped!

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

quote:

Originally posted by justin_tx_16:

Here is a ton of info... hope not too much. In a nut shell, it sounds like that is a kick arse TV that can do HDTV and because it is an LCD Projection you should be able to sit pretty much anywhere and see a really good picture.

Thanks! Smile.gif

Yeah, I think they are refering to the same Samsung LCD Rear Projection HDTV I am thinking about getting. So, it does seems like a kick *** TV. Smile.gif

------------------

TV: Samsung SP-43L2FX (43" LCD Rear Projection HDTV)

DVD Player: Toshiba SD-900E (Progressive Scan DVD Player)

Speakers -

One more thing. The site only states that it supports 720 Progressive Scan. Then what about 480p? Don't DVD players output in 480p? If so, how will this TV display it if it doesn't support 480p?

------------------

TV: Samsung SP-43L2FX (43" LCD Rear Projection HDTV)

DVD player: Toshiba SD-900E (Progressive Scan DVD player)

Speakers -