Compare and contrast Cornwalls with the Chorus II

BS Button

Todd.

You know, readin the above, it should be obvious where you are headin. The Cornscala. Seriously!

I am a big Cornwall Bass fan and I think you are as well. Just need to fix the midrange disapoint.

Please save yo money and talk to me. Hold off on those Chorus or Chornus.

jc

Todd.

You know, readin the above, it should be obvious where you are headin. The Cornscala. Seriously!

I am a big Cornwall Bass fan and I think you are as well. Just need to fix the midrange disapoint.

Please save yo money and talk to me. Hold off on those Chorus or Chornus.

jc

OK

exactly- someone who had difficulty with the LS/CW debate is headed in precisely that direction. The Chorus might impress you for a while, but the Cornscala does seem to be the best of all possible worlds.

I'd still like to put a tractrix in a CW!

Michael

OK, since this thread is kind of meandering around, I'll throw in a couple cents.

I pulled my CWII's out of moth balls. Since they were severly lacking in midrange after listening to Altec's with 811B's and dual 414's (12") I had to try something. I put the CW's on bottom and put the Altec's upside down on top of the CW's. So the 811 horn was right on top of the CW's and the dual woofers now acted as mid bass.

Cornscala smornscala. Cornwall and 811 sound great. Actually the whole combo I set up sounds pretty good. I think the only reason for using a 511 horn instead of 811 is the cutoff (500 vs. 800 Hz). So to remedy that, use a 416 15 woofer and cross higher. Wait...that sounds like a Valencia or even a Model 19. Maybe that's where Cornscala et al evolution is heading. ;)

So in leau of cutting up the Cornwall, I stacked 'em. Sound is superb. Think I will listen to this set up for a while...

-Mark

All I can say is that switching out the K-600 squawker horn to either the Pyle and/or K-400, or even better yet, the Altec 511B horn turns the Cornwall into an entirely different (better) beast.

You've had pretty much every configuration of these- have you ever done a side-by side comparison of each?

All I can say is that switching out the K-600 squawker horn to either the Pyle and/or K-400, or even better yet, the Altec 511B horn turns the Cornwall into an entirely different (better) beast.

You've had pretty much every configuration of these- have you ever done a side-by side comparison of each?

I kinda did a side-by-side.

Once I completed the first Pyle horn mod, I connected everything and fired up the system. The left CW was running stock except for the CT125, 4.5kHz cutoff for the tweeter and 4.5kHz roll off for the squawker. The right CW was running the same except for the added Pyle horn, top hat and the 400Hz cutoff for the squawker.

The midrange was fuller and more open, with less honk and shrill, but the honk and shrill was still noticable.

Then once I did the next and final mod of switching over to the 511B horn, I did a small comparison again. And again, I completed the first 511B mod to the right channel first while leaving the left channel running the Pyle horn.

This time, the Altec offered much more detail and space, as well as a warmer, even fuller midrange with just about as little honk as possible and NO shrill at all. The 511B makes instruments and vocals sound very real and natural sounding whiling adding just the slightest bit of extra oomph on output. OR at least, that's what my inital thought was. Now it seems that the output is just right and blends seamlessly with the CT125 and K-33.

As you can see in the plot below, the response seems to be rather smooth from about 300Hz on up. In fact, Dean says that the 7uF cap bank that I'm running on the K-55V is actually allowing the driver to run down closer to 300Hz than the projected 400Hz. My guess is that the 511B is loading the driver rather well down that low as can be seen by the little boost in the 250-500Hz range. Now keep in mind that the K-33 is running a little lower at about 437Hz due to the added 68uF cap. All in all, I think the sound is excellent and miles above and beyond the stock CW!

sweep01.jpg

Been some time now since Mike Lindsay hauled his new Chorus IIs over to my old <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Palm BeachGardens house to compare them to my super-sensitive walnut-oiled Cornwall 1s, with B2 crossovers. He graduated to LaScalas (now modified with ALK crossovers and Altec 511B horns) and I moved up, way up, to classic Klipsch corner Khorns. At the time, I remember thinking the Chorus shared far more similarities with the Corns than major differences. Since my Corns had a prodigious mid-bass and upper-end bounce, I would NOT be surprised if this problem was solved in the newer, slimmer Chorus models.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I do remember the more attractive looking Chorus were a few hundred dollars less than what Cornwalls sell for (about the same as now). I thought this lower price made Chorus models cheap to the market = undervalued for their capabilities. I think the Corns or the under-rated Chorus models give 65-75% of the classic Klipsch corner Khorn sound for less than half the price.

Todd. There are many ways to do the above alterations with midranges.

You have just sold your La Scalas and you are interested in a DIY. I would take my time.

I can assume you love the midrange on the La Scala and love the bass on the Corn. If there is money in hand from your Scala sell, I would vote for you to get a REAL Cornscala or a little more money and get dbb's. I would be glad to work you through this.

There is a guy in town that does some work for me who would love to put together stuff. He nailed together my two TallCorns in two hours. He is a retired cabinet builder. Honest and good. I no longer have the time to assemble myself and my disabilty insurance will not cover me for table saw injuries. However, I can assure the right build/design.

I already know that you are a decent/good "veneerist". Just think what you can accomplish here. I have the designs for the above two mentioned speakers. They have been long thought out as you know.

Just think:

1. All new drivers if you want.

2. New cabinet that has option all grill front, part grill and part decorator, or all decorator.

3. Network talored to your needs....many here can do it for you.

4. Veener exactly like you want.

5. Extreme bragging rights.

I would go for it.

More simple...just do what Charles and Terry Cruse did and put the 511 horns on top of the Cornwall. You could get your money back on the horns if you don't like.

jc

Or, you could do a couple of Cornscala IIs. A grill and some veneer and you are good to go. Bob

Finally, you got away from that stupid MDF, gawd I hate that stuff.

Why do you hate MDF so? It's a much better material to build loudspeaker enclosures with than plywood. Sure, it might be ugly, but it's definately more sound.

Or, you could do a couple of Cornscala IIs. A grill and some veneer and you are good to go. Bob

Finally, you got away from that stupid MDF, gawd I hate that stuff.

Why do you hate MDF so? It's a much better material to build loudspeaker enclosures with than plywood. Why? Sure, it might be ugly, but it's definately more sound.

well, it's definately not more expensive.

On second thought, don't answer that Chops. I feel a big argument coming on...and you won't convince me otherwise. "Me caveman, me likes plywood" You don't... OK, fine.