Pod casting

I believe you can do it yourself on iTunes. The thing with podcasting really is taking music or talk radio etc etc and placing it online for anyone to download and listen through their ipod or computer etc. Basically some people podcast other's radio talkshow like Howard Stern's and allow people to download it (though that one is illegal....)

There are other things like streaming where you can become the DJ online which I had minimal experience but did it. You can use streaming software, I used Winamp and their stream plugin to actually listen to music at school [:-P] This was pre-iPod...... I set up my computer as the server, had to remember my ip address and then call my ip at school and streamed music to my computer at school. There was even a program to control via the computer at school what music I wanted to play next. But you can do that to allow others to listen in (I have DSL which has limited uploading capability, you need a good upload rate to stream or podcast)

I produce a podcast every week from our services here at the church. (Shameless plug....visit itunes click on podcasts...enter "The Word Will Stand" in the search box...don't listen to the early episodes...I have gotten much better at this as time has gone on...I am in the process of remixing all of the early episodes)

Anyway, the first thing is to simply get set up with your recording equipment. Doesn't have to be fancy, but should be able to record in decent quality...otherwise people won't listen more than once. I use Magix Audio Cleaning Lab to clean and edit the files, and Magix Music Maker to mix it--add music clips, fade tracks etc...very simple user interface.

The tricky part is posting the podcast. You will need somewhere on the world wide web where you have purchased storage space. I use Mac.com. 1 GB of space costs $99 dollars a year. You can probably find cheaper storage, but none as reliable... You get what you pay for. I tried several cheaper options, and they always had server issues that would make my podcast temporarily unavailable.

If you don't know how to write in .xml language, the easiest way, bar none, to post your podcast is to use "Potion Factory" It is a $30 program, and is currently only available for Macs. You simply drag and drop your file into the program, add an Avatar for your program if you wish. Add keywords, descriptions etc, and Tell it where to publish it.

The program adds all of the proper id3 tags, composes that correct xml language etc. with just a simple click of the publish button...

For others to find your podcast, you will have to submit it to the itunes store. Simple process, but it takes a couple of weeks before it shows up in the podcast search.

Here's a link to a bunch of other podcast search engines. They all help to get your podcast noticed

http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2005/05/20/where_to_submit_your_podcasts.htm

One last thing. There is a new, free service on the web that will add an advanced hit counter to your podcast. Go to www.podtrac.com enter your feed url and other info, and it will track your podcast for you. It will tell you when, how (what browser), and where your podcast is being downloaded from.

Hope this helps. I was totally green with this podcast stuff about 6 months ago, and totally taught myself using the web.

Good luck.