Did I over do Speakers versus AVR?

greg0320

OK..I finally finished purchase, being delivered this weekend. My concern is whether I either under purchased AVR to speakers, over purchased speakers to AVR, or actually made a good choice.

AVR is Denon 2807.

Speakers are as follows:

Klipsch RF63 for front

Klipsch RC62 (debating on upgrading to RC64) for center

Klipsch R5650-S for rear surrounds

Paradigm Seismic 12 for sub

I had a pretty good discount on all components, especially the RF63 speakers. Given that, AVR compromised only 20 percent of cost. If I exclude sub, AVR was 30 percent of cost (by the way, sub was equal to both fronts and center speaker).

Should I be looking at a better AVR for this setup, or am I in right the ballpark ?

Greg

I don't think you're too far off,pretty good match(other than I would have got the 83s or upgraded avr and less sub)only imo.

If you are already locked into the 2807 I'd say it will do ok unless you like to have lots of headroom.It mostly comes down to your listening habits.If you want balls to the wall you need more power.If you don't require all out Concert levels(done clean)you'll be fine,at least until next upgrade.

Over all sounds like a good/balanced setup.

I think you have done well and the denon is no slouch. I mean the upgrade from 2807 to 3806 is nil and more priced upon the options.

I would get the rc64 as it has the same horn as the rf-63/rf-83 to match timbre

Don't try to price match, go with what your ears like. I am happy with my Harmon Kardon 3480 stereo receiver for the rf-83 I have. I know I will get made fun of for such a cheap receiver on such nice speakers but I like the amp and gives me more than enough headroom

The only thing that I would change would be the center channel. It handles about 75% of movie content. Always go for the best center that you can afford.

Speakers will last far longer than most receivers. they are a far better investment when well made. Speakers do not become obsolete; receivers go obsolete rapidly.

Outboard amplification would also be a possibility. Receivers are challeneged for power on action movies.

A good subwoofer makes the RF-83s less necessary. A god sub or two goods subs are a must. You will have excellent bass that way, so the bigger woofers are not necessary.

Bill

You've made a great choice. You can never overdoo on speakers unless you would have purchased speakers that present a very difficult load for a receiver to drive.

Say you would purchase Thiel speakers with a receiver,this would be hilarious and a most tastless choice.As the receiver would sweat like a pig in a slaughterhouse before giving in.

Klipsch are quite easy to drive,efficient.Great choice with a receiver.You got better speakers,your gain.The Seismic a great choice,goes quite deep and can belt out the deep freq. with ease and impressive SPL when needed.

McGoo is correct,get the best center you can.As its too often overlooked and THE speaker in a HT system.

Thanks for the feedback.

As to center channel, I went ahead and called right before they came and told them to swap out the RC62 for the RC64. My cabinet is definitely big enough to hold it and given what I am already spending, what the difference of a few hundred dollars more if it will sound that much better.

As to the receiver, if I see it has a probelm, which I don't think it will, I'll just have to trade up. :)

Greg