hello, new here and just picked up a pair of heresy 1's

greetings,

i just joined the forum. i own a mcintosh mc2505 amp(2x50w) and a mcintosh c28 pre amp. i just picked up a pair of heresys. they are numbers 21P060 and 21P061, which seems to mean they are from 1976. i hooked them up last night and first impression is that i am very happy with them. i've been looking around here and there and many people seem to recommend some sort of modifications to the crossover. i have no idea how to do this. it also seems there are a few people on here that actually preform this service. i've heard the heresy has a spike around 9kHz that can be tamed with a modification.

can i do this mod myself? what would i need (parts, tools, etc.)? would it be better to send the crossovers to someone? how can i get the most out of my heresys.

also, i've been looking around on audiokarma and there are so many klipsch haters there.

cheers.

Congrats on scoring the Heresy's. They are sweethearts.

You are correct that the crossovers will need recapping at least. The

caps drift off spec and become resistive. You will be amazed at how

good your Heresy's will sound by simply returning them to factory spec.

The difference and improvement in sound quality is remarkable. I'd

suggest to contact Bob Crites (BEC) on this forum if you want your

crossovers rebuilt to spec. This is not an expensive proposition. Or he

would gladly supply the parts for a DIY job if you prefer. For more

exotic crossovers, I'd suggest to contact DeanG or Al Klappenberger.

They also do very fine work. My suggestion would be to return the

speakers to factory spec to establish a base line for quality sound.

Then fine tune them beyond that, if desired.

Welcome to the forum.

I too just purchased my first set of Heresy's. Mine are 1985 vintage and are also series I. The only that I have done to mine is purchased a set of new crossover networks from Bob Crites (you will find his posts on the site). If you decide to work on the crossovers, you can purchase parts from him or a completely built crossover.

The new crossovers have made a difference and I enjoy the Heresy's a lot.

Enjoy.

Roy

Yup...I have 2 sets of Heresys (currently in HT duty) with BEC/Bob Crites updated crossovers...I have an Academy Center upgraded with the K-Stack by popbumper/Chris Munson...I have seen pics of DeanG/Dean Wescott's work...sweeeeeet and ALK/Al Klappenger as well...nice...I am in AWE of these guys and what they can do with a soldering gun, circuitboards, caps, resistors and their brains...and I get to reap the benefits...[;)]

good luck and congrats on the speakers...

Bill

How do they sound with the Mac? Solid state or tubes? Are you running a sub? Sorry for the questions, but I have a set of H2's and would like to switch to tubes, and Mac would be my first choice, and I think by going to tubes I can eliminate the sub, just my thoughts.

Anyway, Welcome to the forum, and get ready to get your fill of Klipsch. There are many knowledgable folks here, and they are more than glad to give you a hand, and they will, watch.

I also have a set of early Heresy speakers and am considering a crossover upgrade. First, I'm going to do the basic capacitor replacement myself,

However, after reading all the posts on the forum, it sure looks like Bob Crites has a good product. If my work doesn't sound right, I'll probably buy a set from him.

FYI, I don't think Al Klappenberger makes a Heresy crossover.

Good luck and good listening!

Dave in Nashville

i think they sound fantastic. some stuff sounds so great and some stuff sounds terrible though (like my goats head soup red book from 20 years ago). i kinda figure it's bad source material. some cd's i have owned for years and years just don't have it, but when i put some new dylan sacd's in i just picked up it sounds fantastic. i own a mcintosh mc2505 amp(2x50w) and a mcintosh c28 pre amp, both ss. some people think the mc2505 has a "tube-like" sound. i have never had any tube gear, someday i would like to try a mc tube amp. not sure what would be a good one with the heresys. i seems people concider them "small" speakers, but in a new york apartment, they are furniture. i also have a powered sub i run off my c28 center channel. i'm not sure if it's a decent sub though, it's a definitive technology. i would like to have something that matches more the looks of my walnut oiled heresys. i wonder how a mc tube amp would pair with my c28. i sent my crossover off to bob and i'm excited to get them back. my next plan is to send my mc's off to terry dewick for a check up. i really wish i didn't have to sent it through the mail though. i figure they have not been touched for 25 years.

there is something about mc gear i am just drawn to. i see all this super new, super shinny, super expensive equipment and i don't feel it.

any other mc/heresy experience in here?

cheers.

i think they sound fantastic. some stuff sounds so great and some stuff sounds terrible though (like my goats head soup red book from 20 years ago). i kinda figure it's bad source material. some cd's i have owned for years and years just don't have it, but when i put some new dylan sacd's in i just picked up in it sounds fantastic. i own a mcintosh mc2505 amp(2x50w) and a mcintosh c28 pre amp, both ss. some people think the mc2505 has a "tube-like" sound. i have never had any tube gear, someday i would like to try a mc tube amp. not sure what would be a good one with the heresys. i seems people concider them "small" speakers, but in a bew yor aprtment, they are furniture. i also have a powered sub i run off my c28 center channel. i'm not sure if it's a decent sub though, it's a definitive technology. i would like to have something that matches more the looks of my walnut oiled heresys. i wonder how a mc tube amp would pair with my c28. i sent my crossover off to bob and i'm excited to get them back. my next plan is to send my mc's off to terry dewick for a check up. i really wish i didn't have to sent it through the mail though. i figure they have not been touched for 25 years. there is something about mc gear i am just drawn to. i see all this super new, super shinny, super expensive equipment and i don't feel it. any other mc/heresy experience in here? cheers.

You can send your amp, and pre amp right to the McIntosh Factory in Binghampton, N.Y. and they will do all you need done, pretty nice folks there, and they stand behind their work.

Your Mac stuff is Solid State, any of the Mac line sounds good to me. Have you ever run the Mac stuff WITHOUT the sub? How did it sound, Bass wise?