Compare*Contrast kg2 and RB-5 Please...

...for anyone who has both or has had both, your opinions please...

kg2: 35-20Hz 90.5 efficiency

RB-5: 48-20Hz 96 efficiency

It would seem the kgs would dig deeper (passive radiator) but the RBs are quite a bit more efficient...I know the numbers can't tell the whole story...but numbers SEEM to say the RBs would be louder with the same amount of power but the kgs MIGHT have more bass response...I had kg2s and didn't find them more "bassy" than my Heresys that replaced them and the Heresys only go to 50Hz but are also 96dB...can anyone help me understand this better???

Thanks,

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Another thing to consider is how fast the speaker rolls off below it's rated cutoff. Sealed systems tend to roll off around 12dB/octave whereas ported/PR tends to be around 24dB/octave.

So though the KG2 does better from 35-50Hz, it is quite likely that the Heresy does better from 30Hz and below.

But if you didn't hear much of a difference between the two, then it's also quite possible that you have some acoustical issues in the 30-45Hz region. What are your room dimensions?

Having heard other speakers in the KG line, I would anticipate RB5's sounding much better overall.

That 6 db is like 4x the amplifier power, so you could judisciously use the bass control to pump the RB's a bit. I dare say that the Ref series being what, 3 decades newer, is a probably smoother sound through the crossover and it's horn is better.

Think about the difference between 35 and 48 Hz for a minute. 35 doubled is 70. Halfway is about 52. I know its a logarithmic scale and all, but we're talking about 4-5 musical whole steps here- the difference is not much. The smoothness of the bass response and as Who pointed out the low end rolloff characteristic might play a part in the overall sound as well.

Point is that there is so much more to the sound signature of voice of a speaker than the response chart and efficiency rating can tell. You have to LISTEN.

Just give a listen if you have a chance. I bet the RB5 kicks the heck out of the KG2. I had the KG4 here for a while and although it was fairly smooth and deep, it lacked something in the upper bass regions and the high end wasn't that impressive.

Michael

• Like 1

I've said it once, I'll say it again. The RB-5 is a special little speaker. It is very smooth and robust sounding, and plenty of punch for a bookshelf / stand mounted speaker. The KG might go lower, but I seriously doubt is will sound more appealing than the RB-5.

Whell, I must agree with you, since this post started i have hooked up my KG4's and compared them to my RB5's. They are quite a different speaker, each of them have their points. But the RB5 wins out on its overall presentation, nicely detailed, and of course their size makes it much easier to place in the optimum position when on stands.But they do give up some low end to the KG. Sorry Silversport that this was'nt the exact comparison you were looking for.. John..

Actually you all were a big help...I already KNOW the RB-5s sound better...I was wondering why with the lower bass numbers (can dig lower) the kg2s didn't sound better...I certainly can hear the difference...back to back (I no longer have the kg2s) the Heresys sound great to me with that great midrange...back to back, the RB-5s seem like they're "missing the middle"...but played by themselves, the RB-5s don't seem to be lacking for anything...and they have "different" bass than the Heresys...

I like the Heresys best...I really like the RB-5s for their size and great sound (1/3rd the size of the Heresys almost all the sound...perhaps more bass)...not having the kg2s and reading here some claiming the kgs kick the RBs to the curb, I wondered how I missed this...

My progression STARTED with kg2s and they were soundly beaten by the Heresys...I then picked up the RB-5s (thanks for the input ColterPhoto1 and DeanG) and they are really nice too...I was trying to find out just how I missed the great kg2s and how they might stack up...different speaker designs (ported, bass reflex?, passive radiator?)

Thanks,

Bill

You've got a nice progression there. Even if the RB5's beat the Heresies (I didn't say that) on some plains, NEVER sell your Heritage.

M

Nope...not you CP1...:)...I must just like the Heritage stuff more...I started with kg2s (wanted Heresy IIs...who am I kiddin'...I really WANTED K'Horns...no cash) in 1989...got Hereseys in 2004...more Heresys...KLF-C7...Academy...K'Horns...KSF-S5s...RB-5s and Quartets...Heritage are my hands down fav...but the others are really nice...wouldn't be sad if I could only have one pair...('cuz it would just start up again :)

Yep...itza sickness...but you KNOW that dontcha CP1??? ;)

Bill