Are loudness and tone controls necessary?

jpm

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah shawn I did. STEEP learning curve and I have only been playing around with it a bit on weekends trying to triamp my khorns. you know my final goal is to put a higher quality mid-range and tweeter in there in the mid term and go jubilee (2 or 3 way) in the long term. I have two observations from my initial playing around:

1. indeed just as Roy said in some post, the time delay function is both highly noticable and beneficial to the sound of the klipschorn, I felt it "cleaned up" the sound quite bit once the mid and tweet had each been delayed a bit to match the path length of the bass horn.

2. steep slopes rule! like the time delay, getting these things rigged up to provide >100db/octave slopes cleaned up the sound even further.

The box also plays phase games as well but I at this point am so lost in permutations that I cannot tell what is helping the sound more.

The digital EQ is a wonder as well. I have tried a bunch of target reposonse curves (flat was tossed out right away, funny how the people who say they want flat response in-room have probably never really heard it, yeck!) and still am playing with that functionality.

I can say this is an extremely quiet unit that adds no hiss above what I normally hear from my tube amps and certinaly does not seem to murk up the sound in any way during the ADC/DAC/ADC cycle. (they use top quality opamps and DAC circuits in this baby!).

I have not posted anything about it yet because frankly I am still playing around but I will post more when I build up some experience and expertise. what I can tell you is that this IS the future.

tony