Sub-woofer Testing: Chopper? Organ pipes?

yank_in_oz

Apocalypse Now has great helocopters, but I believe the lowest bass comes from when they are sitting on the boat and the B52s fly by dropping bombs in the distance. This scene to be specific.

There are sounds of explosions in the distance :

CHEF

"Hey, what'´s that ?"

WILLARD

"Arch light. B-52 strike."

CHEF

"Every time I hear that something terrible happens."

CLEAN

"Charlie don't never see 'em or hear 'em. Concussion suck the air outta ya

damn lungs.."

CHEF

"Something terrible is going to happen."

CLEAN

"Smoke !

CHEF

"Secondaries burning."

CHIEF

"Hueys over there ! A lots of Hueys."

T3 is another movie that will test your sub.

I know there are ones intended for use by installers and dealers, but may not be available to consumers. I do know of a couple of consumer demo disks that have some of your sounds. One is "Dr. Chesky's ...5.1 Surround Show," a DVD-Audio from Chesky records, which also has all tracks in Dolby Digital 5.1, so it can be played on any HT system with DD5.1. It has a rocket blastoff, subway rumbling, various drums, organ, helicopter, and of particular interest, 50 Hz, 40 Hz, 30 Hz, and 20 Hz heartbeats ("thump-thump....thump-thump.."), which can tell you how low your sub goes. This disk is not as satisfying as it would appear, and as a 5.1 channel surround demo is somewhat disappointing; however, it is recorded well and has some of your sounds with some deep bass. It retails for about $25, but don't pay more than $10-12 for a used one.

The other disc is an old demo from the first days of the CD, called "The Digital Domain" (1983, Elektra records). It has a great digital recording of a jet landing (which ends with the THX "deep note") and really show off the incredible 100+ dB dynamic range of the CD. It also has a helicopter, and a lot of tracks featuring computer-generated pseudo-musical sounds. It also has several pink noise and pure tone test tracks. You should be able to find it cheap from any used CD vendor, such as half.com.

Both disks have a warning about potential damage to your system if played to loud. Most Klipsch speakers can scoff at these warnings.

anyone have a reccommendation for ONE good DVD or CD with SFX, like helicopter, organ pipes, 1812 overture,... or similar.... without buying 8 different media?

thanks

glne

Yank_in_OZ I was always impressed with the low freq audio effects of 2005 DVD War of the Worlds especially with the freak lightning at the beginning and while the killing machines roamed as they destroyed everything early in the movie.

how are your new kw120s?

I just watched the new King Kong DVD two nights ago --- impressive! In particular, the brontosaurus stampede was just thunderous.

I am sure I will continue to test and tweak them for a while. Hooking them up is surprisingly simple, about like a regular powered sub. Set the LFE level on the receiver, adjust phase on the sub amp, and they are going.