Know anything about the JBL 2450H drivers?

EVGuy

I just acquired a pair of JBL 2450H mid drivers with no horns. Very large 10 lb drivers. I think they are the H, not the J but I have to check with my meter because they have no labels on them. Has anyone ever had any experience with them and would they be compatible in Khorns or are they just overkill? Also, what horn would you recommend to use with them if they could be used in Khorns?

Thanks, Bernie

I just acquired a pair of JBL 2450H mid drivers with no horns. Very large 10 lb drivers. I think they are the H, not the J but I have to check with my meter because they have no labels on them. Has anyone ever had any experience with them and would they be compatible in Khorns or are they just overkill? Also, what horn would you recommend to use with them if they could be used in Khorns?

Thanks, Bernie

here is the data sheet.

I would say fine for a belle, but probally have a mid-bass hole in a lascala, or k-horn.

2450HJ.pdf

Yes....I use them with my Klipschorns...And yes they will go down to 400hz I use a Smith D S H multi septa wood horn similar to the JBL 2397, But larger. They are very clean and sweet sounding mostly attributed to the horn design. Westlake moniters use a similar design. You can get the 2450SL diaphrams with the Aquaplas coating and they will sound as sweet and smooth as the JBL 375 drivers. They are the heart of my system. I xover with 24db slopes at 400hz & use a 2404 tweeter at 7k. I set levels to match Klipsch bass bin. Ive been using this for several years. I also have the JBL 375 drivers but are retired for now.

I use a Smith D S H multi septa wood horn similar to the JBL 2397, But larger. They are very clean and sweet sounding mostly attributed to the horn design. Westlake moniters use a similar design.

If those horns are even similar looking to these Smith horns, they are absolutely sweet looking! I'm sure they sound just as good.

81_1.JPG

Yes....I use them with my Klipschorns...And yes they will go down to 400hz I use a Smith D S H multi septa wood horn similar to the JBL 2397, But larger. They are very clean and sweet sounding mostly attributed to the horn design. Westlake moniters use a similar design. You can get the 2450SL diaphrams with the Aquaplas coating and they will sound as sweet and smooth as the JBL 375 drivers. They are the heart of my system. I xover with 24db slopes at 400hz & use a 2404 tweeter at 7k. I set levels to match Klipsch bass bin. Ive been using this for several years. I also have the JBL 375 drivers but are retired for now.

Thanks for all the great info! Where do I find info on the Smith horns? Is there a way to mount the 2450 to the K400?

Thanks for all the great info! Where do I find info on the Smith horns? Is there a way to mount the 2450 to the K400?

Partsexpress sells an adapter but the word on the street is that you will want to get a better horn. Al K.'s tracthorn is popular here and Altec 511B's are not that expensive if you are looking for a less expensive option.

Chris

Where do I find info on the Smith horns? Is there a way to mount the 2450 to the K400?

Bernie,

Attached is a 1951 article on the Smith horn. They look a bit clunky compared to some of the newer ones who followed his lead. Pics to follow.

Bruce

Different files. He makes them out of thicker wood than what is shown on th efiles. I believe the drawings are pretty much the way the JBLs are made. He just made them thicker so there is more of a front face to them. The little boat shaped vanes have a rius that I will look up for you if you decide to build some. I was going to make LS bottoms and then use these for the mid horn. The defficulty will be finding the adapter for the driver.

post-7149-1381930078325_thumb.jpg

The adapters are getting scares but some times pop up on EBAY. I carved a pair out of wood ...I wouldnt recomend that. The JBL adapters are best.

What is the JBL adapter model number? I looked on Partsexpress but didn't have much luck finding their adapter. Anybody know that part number or any advice on how to search for it on their website?

The adapters are getting scares but some times pop up on EBAY. I carved a pair out of wood ...I wouldnt recomend that. The JBL adapters are best.

Some of the JBL adapters are awful. THe alignment is off by quite a bit. If you want to put a one inch driver on it is best to make your own. Otherwise you need two adapters for each horn.

I am working on a casting of my own to make it easier.

JBL doesn't make them anymore and neither does anyone else. It has to do with how they bolt onto the wooden horn.

Bruce

post-7149-1381930082662_thumb.jpg