John Fogerty-The Long Road Home (DVD)

Rick

I purchased this yesterday at BB. I just finished watching it and came away EXTREMELY satisfied!! First of all let me say I now have only a 2 channel sysytem so I can't say how the surround mix is. It does have DD and DTS 5.1 mixes, however.

Let me start off by saying John looks great for 61! I wouldn't believe he was that old if I didn't know it. And he still really rocks far more than most his age. And he has a very talented supporting cast on this show.

This music to me is timeless,classic American Rock and Roll. Most of the best songs from John/CCR are here (as always there are some favorites missing here). This disc sounded wonderful in 2 channel mode. It just begs to be cranked up!! I found myself tapping my toes throughout the entire show.

Any fan of John/CCR or great music should definitely check this out. It is a must own to me and after 1 play it ranks right up there as one of my favorite music DVD's (I have about 75).

Next up, Neil Young - Heart Of Gold!

Cool great to hear you liked it. Do you have Premonition dvd by John? I just ordered me a copy of the new one The long road home. I read a bit of reviews saying the sound quality wasn't as good as Premonition. That was an awesome! recording. I hope it's close, but I just got to have bootleg, run through the jungle, green river live so it's a win win situation no matter what I'm thinking. I wish Neil Young, and Eddie Vedder would put something out on dvd. I seen them a couple a different times for benefits, and they were great together. Still though I will have to keep Heart of Gold in mind. Thanks for the info.

Premonition is a different type of concert, very "Hell Freezes over" like in as much as it is a great set of studio musicians in a very controlled environment, with a small audience in a studio setting.

The new Fogerty DVD is a real concert in LA (I think) and it is more raw, but has more energy. The sound is good, but not as clean as Premonition where the sound engineers obviously had total control of the audio/accoustic environment.

Of the two, I think I prefer Premonition more, but I own them both.

Premonition I think is out of production. I ended up buying a copy through the "used" section of Amazon, but it was a new copy. Great DVD and excellent sound.

Well, ...I actually like the feel of the new one more than Premonition, but... the musicianship and the tightness of the band and the excellent audio recording of Premonition gets my vote.

The Long Road Home concert is a standard Fogerty live concert.. and as good as that is, it isn't ideal audio set-up that the Premontion in-house studio recording is.

• 3 weeks later...

Premonition is a different type of concert, very "Hell Freezes over" like in as much as it is a great set of studio musicians in a very controlled environment, with a small audience in a studio setting.

The new Fogerty DVD is a real concert in LA (I think) and it is more raw, but has more energy. The sound is good, but not as clean as Premonition where the sound engineers obviously had total control of the audio/accoustic environment.

Of the two, I think I prefer Premonition more, but I own them both

I picked this dvd up for $10 at Sams.For $10 it's ok but I'll probably never listen to it again.The recording is just not up to Premonition standards(which is very good).The set is ok,the show is ok but the compressed/squelched sound ruined it for me,not the worst but not enjoyable.

Fish is a little more critical that I was, but I think we are agreeing with each other.

I'm a Fogerty fan and old hippie, so I own 'em both.. if I could only choose one, it would be Premonition, but I like some of the performance on Long Road Home too.

But, from an audiophile point of view, Premontion is in the same class as the top 10, ie.. HFO, Two Against Nature, Roy Orbison Black and White, Clapton's One Car One Driver.