T/T headshells

oldenough

I have a spare V15 III that i decided i would start using. so while i was mounting this i got to wondering, how important is the headshell in the reproductive chain? I have a number of unbranded bayonet type, and the usual technics, pioneer, etc. If there is a difference what should i be looking for. It seems to my thinking this should be pretty important.....John.

It makes sense to think that the headshell is all important. Perhaps as important as the cartridge is in many ways. I recall there used to be headshell upgrades you could buy, featuring carbon fibre construction etc.

When I used to work for a radio station many years ago (my first job out of high school), the radio technicians used to swap headshells on the SME arms used at the time to fine tune the tracking ability of the arms when used with cartiridges of differing compliances. My understanding, right or wrong, is that a higher compliance cartridge would better suit a very light weight headshell.

Also construction must be an issue. The better mate with the arm proper must aid the ability of the cartridge to do it's job. Wear and tear is an issue as well. If there is a sloppy connection the sound will suffer.

Thanks edwin, my thoughts exactly, but they were only thoughts. I basicly plug and play, but lately i"ve been putting a little more effort into my T/T set up. I would guess by the lack of response to this question that either:: it was a pretty dumb question, or (and i doubt this) i had stumped some of the more knowledgable members. But hey, i'm gonna pick out the nicest lookin' one for now, and if it looks pretty with that nice alluminium on the cartridge then that seem's like problem solved. I mean most of the times it's about asthetics, "if it looks good it must sound good".

I would guess by the lack of response to this question that either:: it was a pretty dumb question, or (and i doubt this) i had stumped some of the more knowledgable members.

I don't think very many people give thought to this aspect of catridge and arm interaction. I could be wrong though. [;)]

Actually it's interesting to see the huge interest in vinyl related topics of late. I know the hard core users have always been there, but the interest from those that had previously given vinyl away, or in some cases have never had any experience with it, is interesting in itself.