Electric Piano speakers?

I hope some body can help me with this one.

I am planning to buy a Roland RD-300SX stage piano for home use. I want to build a console to place the keyboard on. It will look attractive for home use.

What drivers would you recommend using for console mounted built-in speakers (about a 6" to 8" pair)? Tweeters? Amp? Klipsch in wall speakers, maybe?

It WILL NOT BE used for stage performance. Only in home. Here is the Roland:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productlist.aspx?ParentId=87

I hope some body can help me with this one.

I am planning to buy a Roland RD-300SX stage piano for home use. I want to build a console to place the keyboard on.  It will look attractive for home use.  

What drivers would you recommend using for console mounted built-in speakers (about a 6" to 8" pair)? Tweeters? Amp?  Klipsch in wall speakers, maybe?

It WILL NOT BE used for stage performance. Only in home.  Here is the Roland:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productlist.aspx?ParentId=87

The size goal of the console would probally be your limiting factor intially.

For a robust sound, larger enclosures for the drivers return the best results. The drivers usally suggest a min and recommended enclosure range.

The choice of using a high end full range drivers vs using seperate woofers, mids, tweeters is really dependent on your size restriction.

Might be worth visitng local music centers and listening to a few consoles so that you can identify one to use a s a model.

Well, I think the speakers built into the Yamaha P250 sound very good in home use.

I would be happy to build something like those into my piano stand/console. In my mind the speaker box will be similar in size to the keyboard, possibly mounted behind the keyboard in an upward firing configuration. The amp would be mounted underneath. Fifty watts per channel would be plenty.

Andy

That is a very nice instrument. We used another Roland keyboard with the same synth piano voices, and they are impressive indeed.

In our church, we just used this on a keyboard stand with a Roland 550 amp. It sounded very good. I don't know if it is a reasonable solution to build a console that would simply enclose such an amp/speaker, but it's a thought that would offer a near turn-key solution if it works.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLKC550

post-11993-13819300841754_thumb.jpg

Hmm. Did you ever consider getting a piano?

Seriously.

DRBILL

You won't have to deal with humidity and tunig twice a year with the Roland. That was why my wife and I had a Fender Rhodes as our first purchsed piano. We rented a beautiful Yamaha for a while, but when we were living in an apartment in Wisconsin, we got the Fender. It worked and was what we could afford at the time. Wish I still had it actually.

Bruce

You might check on e-Bay for some old Stephens Trusonic 5" or 8" full range speakers. After doing several searches about them, I found nothing but favorable comments. Don't know if that's what you had in mind but they seem like they might be what you need. The price they go for seems to vary greatly so just bide your time and wait for a deal.

I shudder at the thought, but you should probably consider some

fullrange car speakers...the reason being that they were designed for

off-axis listening. I suppose klipsch in-walls would be an easy

approach too, but they aren't going to sound that good.

There are all sorts of drivers available at PE:

http://www.partsexpress.com/

You might also consider looking into the Tang Band full range drivers:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3&ObjectGroup_ID=576&sm=1&so=2

Another idea you might consider would be to build "sub"woofers into the

legs of the stand - which would also make the stand more sturdy and

cool looking. Something like 6"x24"x36" on each side is plenty room for

a small woofer and the amps could be mounted on the inside too (which

makes for easier access than directly underneathe). Perhaps a driver

like this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-832

which was used in this design:

http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/boogieman/index.html

(you could just scale it down and do one on each side - driver mounted near the floor to maximize boundary gain).

I would highly recommend going with a 2-way design as it will clean up

the midrange and give you a much fuller sounding piano (pianos dig

as low as 30Hz).

Hope this helps.

How about the tweeters? Muscial intruments are usually pretty hard on hifi tweeters.

I hear people mention that all the time and I've never experienced it...and I've been looking for it for quite a few years now too. I think it's more a product of the way some of the older equipment was built (I remember reading about some crazy osciallation crap that happens in some amplifiers). I can't imagine an electric piano being hard at all on tweeters.

Btw, are you looking to fill the room with sound or just want quiet playback at the listening position?

I think a more turnkey alternative would be to purchase a nice pair of multimedia speakers - like say something from the promedia series. And then just go about tearing the speakers apart and installing them into the cabinet thing you make. Usually there are all sorts of 'ugly' sets available for relatively cheap on ebay.

If you did something like a promedia 5.1, you could have a woofer on each side just underneathe and then a satellite on each side on top angled towards the player and then another pair on the back facing away from the player - for like filling the room like a real piano. Then maybe pointing the center channel straight up or straight down or something like that. I believe the control pod has a setting where it can send just a stereo signal to every speaker?

Gutting a pair of speakers is the way to go. You get drivers, crossovers, et cetera.

AND all the engineering/voicing has already been done for you.

Btw, I researched the PM Ultras and they will not send a stereo signal

to all the sats...you would have to use splitters for that (but not too

big of a deal).