Denon or Adcom amps with Forte ll

Forte2me

I became a Denon convert about 15 years ago with my Forte ll's when I did a side by side comparison between a Denon Integrated amp and an Onkyo Integra amp of around the same power (90w/ch). The Denon had much better bass management and warmer sound compared to the Onkyo. I am currently looking at upgrading my system to higher power (around 200 w/ch), either as separates or as an outboard amp possibly with a Denon AVR. Someone told me that Adcom amps sound better than Denon, but had no experience with them and Klipsch speakers. Does anyone have any a/b comparison experience with Denon and Adcom amps with speakers similar to mine? I'd love to hear from you.

I became a Denon convert about 15 years ago with my Forte ll's when I did a side by side comparison between a Denon Integrated amp and an Onkyo Integra amp of around the same power (90w/ch). The Denon had much better bass management and warmer sound compared to the Onkyo. I am currently looking at upgrading my system to higher power (around 200 w/ch), either as separates or as an outboard amp possibly with a Denon AVR. Someone told me that Adcom amps sound better than Denon, but had no experience with them and Klipsch speakers. Does anyone have any a/b comparison experience with Denon and Adcom amps with speakers similar to mine? I'd love to hear from you.

I have a Sony STR DA5000ES digital receiver that I use a QSC PLX3002 550 wpc amo with (the Sony "only" has 170 wpc). If you want more power the QSC PLX series is nice. I used a 1202 200 wpc QSC with K Horns with great sucess. Plenty of clean power.

Chris

I have used various Adcom amps with my Forte II's & Klf-30's for years. I had been extremely pleased until I decided to replace the Adcom 5500 (200wpc) with a Rotel 1080 (200wpc) based upon comments I read on this forum. I could not believe the difference. The Rotel 1080 was a signifcant improvement over the Adcom. I wish Rotel would come out with a 3 channel version of the 1080. I'm still using Adcom for the center and rear surrounds.

I can't comment on the Denon since I have never owned one. You might want to check out the Rotel 1095 (5 X 200wpc). They can be bought used on Audiogon for around $1,200.

Good Luck.

gbrlex,

What was the difference you noticed with the Rotel over the Adcom 5500? I have heard that the recent Adcoms with the MOSFET design do not sound as good musically as the older ones. I have heard of Rotel, but have never heard a Rotel.

I noticed a major difference in clarity, imaging & bass response. They didn't sound like the same speakers. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but the damping factor on the 1080 is 1,000. The more you crank it the better it sounds.

Have you ever considered tube gear? Tubes can be very rewarding I have just 10 watts peak 5.5 watts RMS a single-ended amp fed source direct and can obtain sound levels in excess of 100db at my chair I have alot of head room think about quality vs quanity! tubes have much more overload capacity than solid state.

SET12

I'm using an adcom 5500 200w/c amp (GTP450 pre) with my Cornwall 1's. Plenty of headroom, low noise, and nice punch/dynamics with the Adcom.

I tried a vintage scott tube integrated amp with the cornwalls and loved the sound at lower volumes, but I've gone back to the Adcom system because at higher levels (or source material with wider dynamic range) the Scott simply ran out of steam in the loud passages. Tube distortion when overdriven is certainly easier on the ears than solid state clipping, but it is distortion nonetheless and very unpleasant for me to hear.

The fact that you can now purchase "previously owned" separates on ebay opens up a whole new world of affordability for guys like me who do not have the big budget set aside for the new stuff. But with the sensitivity of my speakers, I am concerned without having trialed the Anthem, Adcom, Rotel, Outlaw or others that they may not be a good combo. I know the Denon sound so that's easy for me. What I don't know is if any of these amps or others sound better with Heritage than Denon does.

I would have to second SET12's advice on tube gear. I tried a wide variety of solid state amps with my Forte IIs and previously KG4s and nothing matches the warmth, detail and overall presence of my Scott 299A. I have about $600 in this amp and haven't swapped out a tube since I bought it 3 1/2 years ago. Yes, it is different and a bit "outside the box" if you're used to solid state. But, Klipsch speakers are very efficient and marry up well with tube gear--the reason there are so many of us here.

If you are dead-set against going this route, take a look a Creek amps. I've heard from a number of listeners here that they are the absolute best bang for the buck.

• Like 1