Klipschorn in the news (kind of)

kev313

8 systems? [:o] And I thought we were wacky to have three, soon be four!

The SO's study: Cambridge sats + sub driven by old Yammie HT receiver, inputs from computers (Mac/PC) and iPod

Main system: 4 CW IIs, plus homemade MTM center, driven by Yammie RX2500. Klipsch derived center soon. Turntable, Laser Disc, CD, DVD and cassette deck

My study: Sumo Electra, Sumo Polaris driving Dahlquist DQ-10s. Also Scott 333B tuner for the few times I still listen to FM. DVD player mainly used for CDs

Not counting the garage: Aiwa boombox and 1960 Zenith AM FM table radio for listening to Click & Clack and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me on Saturday mornings.

"In the world of audio, poor or mediocre products are numerous. They go along with larger systems designed to protect and promote trash. Standing apart from these are many 'good' products... which serve us well but can be quickly forgotten as is any worn-out appliance when its service is over. Finally, there are those very few great products, truly realisations on inspiration, which, however obsolete, and though they may have passed from our lives, cannot be removed from our hearts. They are Industrial Art. They enrich our lives. The Klipschorn is one of them."

from ' First Encounter with The Klipschorn ' by David A Wilson ( WAMM Designer )
- Sound Bites : K. Kessler & S. Harris 2005, ISBN : 0-86296-242

[:D]

I would question whether the Klipschorn is obsolete,seeing that its design theory is revolutionary in the pursuit of stated objectives, and it is still in continuous production.

I do love the organic collection practices of he artist, and his recognition that certain speakers fall in with similar era components to form a system.

Is it just me, or does it seem to anyone else that this guy's equipment must sound really odd in that room. The K-Horns are almost touching, and the Dahlquists, which were designed to be floor standing and several feet away from any walls, are on top (!) of the horns and tucked into the corners. The DQs have a definite "sweet spot" and, unless the guy has a very tall chair, I don't think he could get near it.

I guess the important thing is, he enjoys it. And he is spot on about the Klipschorn.

The interviewee has an an interesting take on upgrading vintage speakers... none.

He's kind of a conservator of the designs. Here's what he had to say:

I

never tweak original system components apart from trying different

cables and interconnects. I believe the design was the best the period

could produce and anything introduced later would become a hybrid of a

DIY mentality. The condition is not so important and this has led me to

acquire some very rare stuff. As to your question, I believe I answered

that in considering the requirements of the loudspeakers to perform at

or above their design potential based on the amplification components.

I admit that I take the Garrard 401/SME/V15 III combo for granted but

that's because it delivers everything I play on it to a standard that

enables all other components in the chain to exploit the signal to best

advantage.