Neil Young - Heart Of Gold DVD

Rick

I watched this tonight and really enjoyed it! I can't say anything about the surround mix but the 2 channel mix sounds good (just a little low in level - you gotta turn it up a bit). But the performance is great to me. Most of the songs are from Prarie Wind (which is one of my new favorite CD's) and there are a few of the classics (Heart Of Gold,Harvest Moon,etc). It was recorded at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville. The beautiful and angelic voiced Emmylou Harris guests on a few of the songs. It is not to be missed if you like Neil.

Is he backed by a band, or is it a solo effort? Neil is a funny guy, and you never know what you will get with him. On any given night, Neil Young can be awful, and the next night, he can give his greatest show,that's Neil...............Neil owns a place in Rock History............for sure!!!!!!

He is backed his band. Also on some songs he has the Jubilee Singers and Nashville Brass horn section backing him. It is kind of a country flavored performance (as is Prarie Wind IMO). The gentleman playing steel guitar is great! He has been working with Neil since Harvest (can't remember his name). He owns Hank Williams' guitar and plays it on some of the songs. The song "Old Guitar" is about Hank's guitar and Emmylou Harris plays and sings harmony with him and it is a beautiful song.

If you like the music on it DO NOT miss out on the Prarie Wind 2-disc edition CD. Disc 2 has a 96/24 high resolution stereo mix that is to die for!! One of the best sounding discs I have ever heard!! An audiophile recording if I have ever heard one!!

Yep, it's great!

I Netflixed it first, but will order the recommended Deluxe 2 CD set this week.

I can remember when the Harvest album came out.. Heart of Gold, Needle and the Damage Done, Old Man I'm a Lot Like You...

this is a return to that... the best side of Neil. There's a few really great new songs in here too, one about his dead dog and one about his father and then another about his 21 year old daughter.

A really excellent performance, excellent sound, video and music.

Rock on and ride safe guys!! Enjoy the holdiay week-end!

We saw it in one of the smaller auditoriums in the local theater that was carved into eight theaters. We enjoyed the film but the sound was dreadful. It was obviously due to the playback system and not the performance or recording. The mid-bass was way too exaggerated. There was a constant growl that sounded like heavy trucks rumbling by.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I look forward to hearing the DVD and the CD.

• 1 month later...

This is now my favourite concert DVD. Excellent music, excellent musicianship, and excellent cinematography...not to mention a touching story. The song list is perfect. When you watch it, you can't help but get caught up in the music, and that is exactly what Neil hoped/intended. Neil (and his band) should be proud of this work, it really hits home.

I wasn't a huge Neil Young fan before I bought the Prairie Wind CD, but I ended up really enjoying it. I bought Heart of Gold the same time I bought Pink Floyd Pulse (my favourite video of all time), just to see if it was as good as the CD. Well, I've now watched Heart of Gold about 5 times more than Pulse.

Neil's made a new fan in this house!

-PB

I loved Harvest when it came out in 1972. Old Man... A Man Needs a Maid... Needle and the Damage Done and of course, Heart of Gold. This was kind of a soft rock album for Neil and it happen to come out at the same time that America came out with their famous self titled album with Horse with No Name and Riverside on it.. everyone had them mixed up, as they sounded similar. (I actually liked the America album more.)

f60080yhodf.jpgf26191crhvi.jpg

But.. my favorite is a bit more of a rocker for Neil and I think his best album Everbody Knows This is Nowhere with Crazy Horse. The fabulous song Cinnamon Girl the beautiful Cowgirl In the Sand, and the hard rocking Down By the River and Everybody Knows This is Nowhere... Neil is one of those guys that has multiple facets to his personality.. don't we all? ...and he changes with his moods. He can rock! Check out this one.

d66657g7t50.jpg

Neil Young is..........well, he's like.................or, maybe he's like.............Neil Young.........there really is no one quite like Mr. Young........his music covers many forms, Country, old and new, Rock, sorry to say this, Grunge, Blues, and whatever else Neil feels like throwing at you. I don't like his voice, I don't like his Guitar playing, but Boy, I like Neil Young, go figure................I find there is a certain time when Neil Young fills my musical needs, when in the mood, Neil's the one.............writes good songs, good arrangements, always has good talent backing him............On any given night, Neil Young can be the worst show you ever saw, and on the next night come back a give the show of his life, somewhere in between is what I like best.................I think he is an acquired taste, as time passes by the more important Mr. Young becomes.................He has a big place in Rock n' Roll History.........like him or not, you cannot deny that..............International Harvestor is my favorite Neil Young Band................