What do I need?

vandec54

Please look at my profile below.

I previously purchased what my bank roll allowed me to. Now after a few years of not buying anything I am ready to give the system a tweak or two.

After reading reviews, I have formed the opinion that my Reference II system should be enough speaker for me. There are also many klipsch posters that are very happy with them. However, I am just not hearing results. When I listen to them I am just mildly impressed. Is this due to the lack of power my receiver is putting out or due to the crappy dvd player I have?

What tweaks would you do to my system to make my (censored) tingle when I listen to it?

Change my receiver, add an amp, upgrade speakers?

I could spend as much as $1500 or maybe $2000 depending on what I get.

Thank you very much for your thoughts.

I don't care about my 25 inch tv, that doesn't need upgrading quite yet.

You could definitely stand to upgrade your receiver. Your sub is another weak link. If you bought a $1000 receiver and a $1000 sub, your system would be way better. If you were only going to upgrade one, I don't know what I'd reccomend, probably the receiver.

And don't fool yourself, your 25" TV needs upgrading, too.[;)]

Well I've never heard your reciever, but I looked it up and it doesn't look too awful...

What kind of budget do you have? I would recommend spending at least

$500 on a new sub (that KSW just isn't going to cut it) and then there

are very nice used recievers for around $300 that I know will sound

real nice.

And what kind of source material are you using and how are those units connected to the reciever?

I have all my components hooked up with monster cabling, does that answer your question?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I have never heard the reference series subs, what would be the difference I could expect over my ksw-12? Maybe I am naive, but I thought my sub was okay.

Is your dvd player connected with a single digital cable (coax or optical) or 6 analog cables or just a single stereo pair?

What about your CD player?

And describe what kind of listening you are doing that makes you feel

like you have a lackluster system. Watching movies? listening to music?

the radio? And what do you find lacking?

The reason for these questions is trying to probe into possible setup /

connection issues with your reciever. The speakers you have are great,

and the sub and reciever are adequate (certainly not sucky by any

means). But when not configured correctly it will quickly start

sounding less than pleasant - which possibily sounds like at least part

of the problem.

Could you provide a sketch of your room layout? Like where all the

windows and doors and furniture and speakers are located? Is everything

in an optimum position, aimed the right way, and volume matched?

Just trying to throw out some things to think about that may or may not be the issue.

As far as your sub...I know many people that are more than satisfied

with that particular unit - one of whom always thought I was crazy when

I kept recommending that he upgrade. He recently got the Klipsch THX

Ultra2 subwoofer system and he has now entered a whole new world of

music and movie enjoyment. I'm not saying you have to go that extreme,

but once you hear something better there is no going back. Though if

even after hearing something better you are still satisfied with your

KSW, then by all means keep it and spend your money elsewhere - like

more movies and music.

Currently I am set-up in a 17x12 room, I believe all my speakers are posistioned correctly. I do most of my listening watching dvd's. All my connections are digital and should be adequate. I play around with the settings everytime I watch a movie, so while I may not have perfect setting I am adjusting weekly. Thanks again for your response.

Hey there,

Just checked up the specs on your receiver. There's no reason that you shouldn't be getting a significant "wowing" experience. Might be unlikely, but even the best of us overlook the slightest, smallest things. A quick list off the top of my head tto check:

- Phase correct on all speaker connections?

- Sounds like an HT setup, so are the speaker distances / levels calibrated?

- You CAN hear the test tones in all the speakers, right? ;)

- Center / mains are timbre matched?

- Receiver calibration is geared towards your listening position?

- All modes from your receiver sound bad? If there's even a single mode that sounds good and has the punch and results that you desire, all hope may not yet be lost.

- This is a tougher one, but from what you can tell, is is possible that the room is just not meant for HT? Numerous reflective surfaces, too dead / too live, etc.?

- Are the mains broken in yet? Since these are new, and since you're running mainly on HT (where the mains are on reduced duty), it may take longer to open them up, should they so require.

The reason that I'm mentioning the above is because the worst possible thing that you can do is spend money on it and still be disappointed. I've been through it and I know the terrible terrible feeling you get.

Let me know about the above, and perhaps we can move a little further.

-Fauzi

...since Fauzi and I have admitted (Home Theater...Where's the Beef?) to having this problem before...what are your crossovers set at??? Your speakers are "good enuough" that you should be enjoying your HT...

Keep giving us information and we can continue to try and help...it WILL make a difference...

Hope this helps and good luck...

Bill

Yes, I have sound coming out of all speakers. It is not that they sound bad, it is that I am really not satisfied. The speakers are timbre matched. It is a work in progress calibrating them to my listening position. Every movie I watch, I try to make little adjustments.

Like I said in my earlier post, I end up watching my movies in 5 channel mode because in the DTS or Digital mode I get very little from my rears and the rest don't really have the crystal clear and crisp sound (during musical dvd's) I am after. Is this because I do not have enough power to drive my rears? Could I really be wanting a bigger center? Thanks for all your time and help.

Vande,

Check out my post on this forum titled "I didn't know what I had!" Take my advice, run out get an SPL meter, and calibrate your speakers using that. It took me literally 5 minutes (well, 3 months and 5 minutes, if you count the time between when I started looking for an SPL and when I finally picked one up! :)), and you're already on your way to getting HUGE improvements out of your setup.

Keep in mind, if your speakers are all timbre matched, then you are already half way there... And most receivers out there today, no matter what price range, can give a VERY decent illusion of being immersed in the sound... so, to answer your question, no I don't think your rears are being under powered.

Get an SPL meter... best 50 bucks you'll ever spend. And order Avia's Guide to Home Theather online from Amazon. I have not yet used the DVD though I have it... but the reviews you get from people about it, might be worth the investment.

Good luck,

Fauzi

EDIT: You may want to look in a nicer center, if it comes down to it. I think you can pick up an old Ref series RC-3 for within 200 bucks if I'm not mistaken... though I can't comment on how good or bad a match it'll be.