Who has or has listened to KG-5.5s

Won a set on ebay the otherday, have yet to go pick them up. Will be driving about three hours to get them, needless to say the price was right. I am just curious of what they sound like? Are they decent speakers? Don't know if I got a steal for $107.50 and about 7 hours of my day, or I'll regret it once I get them nestled into the basement.

Feedback will be greatly appreciated [;)]

I have owned 2 pairs of KG5.5's, one black veneer and one oak pair, The only problem I had with the oak pair, was the back panel worked loose and started vibrating at high spl's. I contacted Klipsch and the problem was restricted to a batch that had some substandard glue. The dealer fixed the problem with a liberal amount of glue and some clamping.

Sound wise I thought these speakers were superior to the KLF10's that I replaced them with. They were more open and dynamic. The KLF10's were not as good. The better speaker to replace the KG5.5's with would probably have been the KLF20's.

I also thought the KG5.5's were less tolerant of certain solid state amps than the KLF10's. The KG5.5 tended to glare with some s/s amps. I had big problems back then because tube amps were limited and expensive and solid state was the only real choice. I ended up buying a Creek integrated which drove the 5.5's really well.

Congrats on scoring the 5.5s...If they're are in decent shape, you got quite a steal! That means that my speakers may be worth less than I thought they were [:@]

The 5.5s are best suited (I think) for rock and roll, but they're great at just about everything. I find them a bit bright at times, and they tend to manhandle some delicate classical music, but overall I think you'll really enjoy them. Most of all, they sound great LOUD!!! I bought mine in "94, and after about six months of looking for speakers, they were the only speakers my wife liked [:)] If you're going to put them on carpet, I recommend you remove the plastic feet and use the spikes (mine have them). When we lived in Italy I had them placed on a tiled floor with the plastic feet and they sounded fantastic as well.

The are rather large speakers, however, and will seem huge unless you have a large room. I'd love to see pics when you get them set up!

Dale

I think deal is getting better by the day. I had emailed the guy I bought them from twice over the weekend, without any reply. Thought maybe he wasn't happy about only getting $107.50 out of them but this morning got an email and a phone number. In his email I found out that he would be traveling this upcoming weekend to his parents house, that is located just about half an hour south from here. So not only did I get an awesome price on my first authentic Klipsch speakers, I'm only going to have to drive a total of 1 hour instead of six.

I am enjoying the speakers that I have built, mostly from Klipsch components, I hop that straying from the heritage line isn't a dissapointment.

I feel you got a great deal and now he's even bringing them your way too. You must be living right. Congratulations! I've never heard a pair myself, but I've read that others say they sound real nice. I'm betting they will sound real good and you'll be happy with them. Let us know how it goes and how they sound.