Wondering if anyone with smaller systems is running close to the same as me...

Rsoxfan

I run Forte's all around, with an Academy center; the Forte's are a fabulous starting point for an unbeatable home theater system. I have a pair of the KG .5s, which I bought intending to use them as remote speakers for my kitchen. Turns out they were 1/16" too big to fit above the cabinets. I used them for a short period in my computer/office room run off a stereo receiver, and did find that they could not get very loud without distortion, which is rare for Klipsch speakers. Those little woofers just weren't designed to handle much bass signal. As rear surrounds in your system, they probably cannot produce dramatic surround effects from Dolby Digital movie soundtracks, unless you don't play them very loud. They should definitely be set to "small" in your receiver settings. If you use your system mainly for music, the rears aren't as important. If you do watch a lot of movies with substantial rear effects, you may want to upgrade to a larger speaker. While a close timbre match (voice quality) is desirable (and the only perfect matches are more Forte's, or Choruses or Quartets), other smaller speakers could work which could put out more sound than the .5s, such as the KG 2.2 or 3.2.

A good timbre match across the front speakers is much more critical. Unfortunately, the only center speaker designed for Forte's is the Academy, which is very hard to find and can be expensive if you do find them. Klipsch just did not make them very long, although a lot of people have the Forte (or it sibs, Chorus or Quartet). Some, including myself, started out using a KG 2.2v as a center with reasonable results. However, it may be no better match than the KV2 you have now. For a while I used a Quartet laid on its side as a center, which matches, but that is a big 50-lb center, too big for some peoples' set ups. I finally scored an Academy a couple of months ago. They show up on Ebay about once every two months or so.

Let us know more about your space, listening/viewing needs, budget, etc., and I am sure others will chime in.

I just picked up a pair of Quartets and KG1s from a member of the board and I had Fort'e 1s as mains and an Academy center. The Academy just was not quite right with the Fort'es and when I moved the Quartets as mains, Fort'es as sides and now I need to add the KG1s as rears, the sound is much better. The front 3 truly are seamless and the sound of the Fort'e 1s as sides is glorious. I would rather see the Fort'es up front but the sound is better with the Quartets.

For more than a year I ran an Academy cenetr with 4 Forte I's, and KG2's in the rear, a very satisfying setup. The Academy is an OUTSTANDING speaker, well suited as a center channel, especially when the crossover network is upgraded.

Recently, I obtained another Forte and set about to use it as a center channel. This Forte has had it's network upgraded as well, and an additional network tweak. I have to admit, I am ESPECIALLY happy now with the front soundstage; while the Academy was indeed an EXCELLENT match to the Fortes, the addition of the Forte center channel easily outweighs (no pun intended) the Academy as far as balance and overall output. Not surpringly, the amount of BASS is far improved, with an overall richer, more dynamic sound. While I always felt the timbre match between the Fortes and Academy was near "dead on", there is NO question about the front soundstage at present.

My favorite "test" of a center channel is to play Lord of the Rings, "Two Towers", in the scene where Treebeard is carrying the Hobbits as he walks through the woods. The voice of Treebeard is an uneasy mix of midbass modulation, and if your speaker is not "up to the task", it is hard to discern the speech. The Forte handles this with ease; the Academy, nice, but not nearly so.

Chris

I started out with Forte I's in front, and added KG .5s and a KV2 center - back when I also bought an Adcom 3 ch amp and dolby pro logic decoder, as my first entry into surround sound.

Since then, I first went to a yamaha RXV-995 surround amp. Then added a SVS sub. then built a room for everything to go in.

I thought I was doing pretty good, then I started reading this forum too much. ;-)

Then I went on line and got another pair of Fortes on E-Bay for rear surrounds, and got an Academy center through this forum (and sold the KG .5s and KV-2 through this forum).

I think you'll see a huge difference by adding a sub, upgrading your center, then go for matching rears.