Picky, DaleR, Other MI/Detroit members

rplace

The first concert thread got me to thinking of a local band that played a free concert in Hart Plaza in Detroit put on by WRIF. It would have been late 70s early 80s. Their big hit was "Time to Move". No luck with google on remembering the band's name.

Any of you Motor City Mad Men/Women know who I am talking about?

A high school friend of mine could drive at the time and we skipped school to drive from the burbs to scary Detroit to catch the concert. Thing is once your car was parked on the school lot you had to have a note to get your car out early. The driver had a realistic looking forged document, but I had to hide in the trunk to get off the school property. Good times and fond memories.

Oh my, the band's name just came to me and I can't belive how the memories just flood back. Bitter Sweet Alley was the band.

Here is the song...man the Internet is a wonderful thing. Anyone else on the plantet heard of these guys?

http://www.motorcityrock.com/bands/bitter_sweet_alley/audio/bitter_sweet_alley_time_to_move.mp3

Catchy tune...I give it an '8." Seriously, the band isn't familiar, but I do remember WRIF for sure. I left Michigan after 10th grade when my father was transferred for work. There were a lot of good local bands in the area, though.

Speaking of Motor City Madmen, Ted Nugent had a place just outside Jackson, and I used to see him with his kids when he would take them to Chuck Cheeze's. Man, what a nice guy! He always drove a totally decked out black Bronco. I remember when his wife got high with a friend one night and wrapped her car around a very large tree. Unfortunately, the tree won that match...

Dale

Could that be "Time to move" by the Zombies? They were actually a "British Invasion" band. Hear the song: Linky A local group from Melvindale, MI named "Frijid Pink" did a lot of cover tunes back then. "Pink" sounded a lot like the Zombies, so maybe it was them? My last guess would be "Frost", another local group.

BTW: That's not "Uncle Ted": It's "TERRIBLE" Ted! Ifin' he heard you call him "uncle" he'd WHACK you! [;)]

I didn't know Ted moved to TX. Well, at least (Bob) Seger still lives near Ann Arbor for part of the year!

post-10177-13819301961172_thumb.jpg

Could that be "Time to move" by the Zombies? They were actually a "British Invasion" band. Hear the song: Linky A local group from Melvindale, MI named "Frijid Pink" did a lot of cover tunes back then. "Pink" sounded a lot like the Zombies, so maybe it was them? My last guess would be "Frost", another local group.

BTW: That's not "Uncle Ted": It's "TERRIBLE" Ted! Ifin' he heard you call him "uncle" he'd WHACK you! [;)]

I didn't know Ted moved to TX. Well, at least (Bob) Seger still lives near Ann Arbor for part of the year!

LOL..... hey I thought I heard a rumor that Bob was going to tour sometime in the near future? Anyone else hear that?

Ah! Bitter-Sweet Alley! Of course I remember them! Gosh.....I missed that one! They were just getting their start in bars when I was in the bar circuit. I've met their old lead singer, Gary Spaniola out on the circuit when I was playing alto sax in a band named "ROZE". We played in clubs all over Michigan from 1977 through 1980. BSA played many of the same clubs we did. They were very good. One unique thing about our band was that we were one of the very few bands back then that regularly played Steely Dan cover tunes in the clubs.

That's a GREAT web site you found! Thanks for the link.

Some other Detroit club bands I recall from that era:

Springwells: They played many of the same clubs we did. I knew most of their guys.

4th Chapter: (which became Mariner) They were one of the area's best bands. Our band had the same management agency as these guys (Sterling Diversion). We would fill in a lot of the club dates that they could not make.

GANDALF: Ric Michaels was their front man. He was a great singer and the best sound man I've ever met. He ran the sound at Pine Knob and Harpo's for years. He even auditioned to sing for our band (we couldn't afford him).

TILT: I'm still good friends with their original lead singer, Frank Ewing. We used to live across the street from one another.

PUSH: I revamped their sound for them.

Also: TEEZER, Mugsy, The Skids, Toby Redd, Salem Witchcraft, The Almighty Strut, Zooster.