A disaster in the making?

maxg

There's Max, and there is the soldering iron. General rule of thumb says keep these 2 apart.

Additionally - there's Max and there is knowledge and understanding of electronic components. To date these 2 have been kept well apart.

After my reviewing of the Hawk Audio Pre-amp the owner of the business decided it would be a good idea to send me his new digital amp to review.

The only thing is - he sent me a kit to assemble with written instructions, a slew of wiring diagrams and not much else.

Now a wiring diagram is akin to instructions in Hieroglyphics as far as I am concerned. The written instructions refer to things like rectifier diodes/bridges and God only knows what else - lets call that Linear Script A - the one no-one in history has yet decifered (might be Linear Script B come to that - I can't remember).

It was obvious from the off we were on a total non-starter and I told him such in no uncertain terms.

"No Problem" says he - just do to such and such web address and download the pdf file with all the pictures.

I did as instucted and as promised was a picture book instruction manual that made the thing look managable.

Thus armed with a small selection of tools and the assembly 101 I commenced the thing last night.

I spent about 3 hours all told last night and made some surprsingly significant progress. There is one main board to assemble - bunch of big capacitors and various connectors, resistors and 2 funny square boses (which might be rectifier bridges and might be something completely different) and one subsiary board (with the volume control on it) - more resistors and capacitors (little red ones).

Those have been completed. The parts count has now diminished significantly.

Now when I say completed I mean installed with (hopefully) the correct orientation AND soldered into place - impressed huh!!!???

I have also mounted the parts on the front panel, including the volume control assembly above, a mounting for the LED (the LED part of which I cannot find), power/standby switch and a 2 way source selector.

On the rear panel I mounted the binding posts, the 2 inputs, the power adapter and main power switch.

It was at this point that SWMBO arrived home (Junior is staying with SWMBO's mother) so it all got packed away for the night - I will continue this evening.

Right now I am feeling rather pleased with myself - although heaven only knows if I have mounted everything correctly. I was certainly swinging my soldering iron like a pro - I must have soldered 50 connections thus far on the boards.

Ahead is all the wiring of the components together (hope the pictures will help here or else I am truely stuck!!), the mounting of the power supply (which should be easy) and some final checking before blowing every fuse in the house.

The thing that brings the most comfort right now is the fact that there are so many fuses in this damn thing that I almost feel safe. There are 4 on the main board and another one in the mains plug adapter. How much damage can I do?

We might find out quite soon - then again - if progress stalls - we might not.

I just might be Max the amp builder by the weekend!!!!

"......and 2 funny square boses........"

He even provided you with speakers? I'd still use the one's you currently have. [;)]

Sounds fun and should provide you with a real sense of accomplishment, as apposed to just throwing a system together. We are all hoping to hear further from you on the matter.

Good luck with the finishing of your project.

That first post kinda scares me Max, do you have a blast proof shield you can stand behind when you first plug it in? Or perhaps put it waaaay out in the parking lot and power it up via a very long extension cord?

Reminds me of my first adventure in soldering, trying to make a PAIA synthesizer from little kit modules. I think I got the power supply and an oscillator going, then gave up. The parts were all sooo tiny!

But good luck and congrats on taking on a project a lots of us wouldn't have the balls to.

Michael

Some progress last night - but not as dramatic as SWMBO came home early.

Power supply, power board and dual amplifier sections all mounted and connected for power (not to the socket, nor the main power switch yet though), speaker terminals connected up - everything in the right place and soldered.

The input side is more complicated as I have to go through the source selector switch (which looks like it will be the fiddliest part of the soldering), then through the volume control and then back into the amp part itself.

All the joys - but I think this will take slightly longer than originally planned.

Maybe by the end of the weekend - who knows.

Music is playing right now through the amp!!!!!!

I DID IT!!!

Who da man now!!!!!

OK - calmer now. Works - couple of niggles that need sorting out - but it works and plays quite nicely. I rushed off to Antonis at Stepcom (my local supplier) and it drove a pair of floorstanding Proac's with comparitive ease - to moderately loud levels and a pair of spendors to similar volumes.

Good soundstage - GREAT MIDS - highs and bass might need something - could be a running in issue - hard to say - but for an amp that Max built this is astonishing.

Even SWMBO is impressed - that it works that is.

Now going to have a shower (it is 38 degrees C outside - about 98? farenheit). Not a good day to be swinging a soldering iron.

Will fix the niggles and then install it into the system for some longer term testing.