The horizontal rumba

tychicum

So I wanted to upgrade my rear surrounds and so a pair of Chorus off ebay not long ago.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I have SS-3 surrounds and Chorus II for front Speakers.

The sub is a Polk 505 and does a decent enough job.

My center is a Joe D'Appolito design with Audax speakers which my son made for me ... so there is a certain sense of pride in that speaker ... and it is also very good for what I use it for ...

Anyway ... the Chorus rears I just bought can sit on the floor if they have to ... but will get in the way from time to time ... and there is a large custom built oak shelving unit just behind them with a hole just slightly larger than the big Chorus boxes and I am beginning to think of loading these speakers inside this shelf unit.

The shelf itself is plenty deep and is built right onto the wall (structurally on the 2x4 which at that point are on 8 inch centers). So the unit can take the weight. What I don't know until I try is can it take the vibrations ...

Anyway the question is ... if these babies are lying on their side do I have them lying with the top of the speakers (the horn section) together in the center ... or the other way around with the woofers in the center?

The room at that point is around 13 feet wide.

Any suggestions are welcome ... I'm looking for ideas ...

I would imagine that the sound frequences, especially higher ones which can be localized easier, will be dispersed better if you have the woofers closer to each other and the tweeters farther apart. Stereo separation would more than likely be much better.

What I've noticed in several installations is that trying to build a full range speaker into a shelving unit or wall of any sort always adds a 'boomy' quality to the bass. Especially in the case of any speaker with port or passive radiator in the rear. That sound must escape to free space to sound correct.

I would resist the urge to put them on the shelves. Especially not horizontally!

Michael

I would imagine that the sound frequences, especially higher ones which can be localized easier, will be dispersed better if you have the woofers closer to each other and the tweeters farther apart. Stereo separation would more than likely be much better.

Good point ... and one I hadn't thought of.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

No doubt this is going to be a trial and error thing. I don't think the bass will be effected much as they will be in the corner and only a couple feet off the ground and where the woofer would be otherwise if they were standing in front of the book case.

Only time and trial will tell. In the meantime I am waiting until a new receiver which I have on order arrives before my experiment is undertaken.

I like wuzzzer's idea so it will be my starting point ...

What I've noticed in several installations is that trying to build a full range speaker into a shelving unit or wall of any sort always adds a 'boomy' quality to the bass. ....

Michael

I tend to agree. I "believe", If you are going to use three "identical" speakers across the front, with the center positioned near the ceiling, the woofer needs to be attenuated 1 or 2 db (equalizer or crossover), with the other center's drivers running flat out with the mains. Drones should be no problem so long as you use the rule of thumb that the speaker should be positioned at least the diameter of the passive radiator from the rear wall ... of course all IMHO.