New Vintage System?

DaleR

Just wanted to show off my new home office system...The receiver is a '76 Rotel RX-603 (50 Wpc) that I bought from forum member Rick 88. The unit is in awesome shape for being 30 yrs old! Fortunately, I had a pair of crappy JVC speakers from an all-in-one system. My goal is to find a decent used TT and, of course, some Klipsch speakers to make this a totally vintage system, but this will have to suffice until that happens.

I immediately hooked the RX-603 up in my main system with my Kg 5.5s and my initial impression was that the unit sounded much more powerful than 50 wpc. Of course, that's the efficiency of Klipsch speakers! As soon as I powered the unit on, that warm, rich sound I remember came pouring out of my system. I put on a CD of America's Greatest Hits, and I could swear it was the '70s all over again. Of course, I was only 10 yrs old when this receiver was built.[:)] And you know what, the iPod doesn't sound half bad!

I know a bookshelf isn't the optimal place for speakers, but the room is kind of small and I really don't have room for big floorstanders. Bookshelf speakers mounted on stands could work if I were to totally rearrange the room.

If any of you have a set of speakers or a turntable you'd like to sell, PM me with the details.

Dale

post-15753-13819301981262_thumb.jpg

Those old Rotel receivers are first-rate so I've read (never heard one). With a nice ol' AR or Thorens 'table, you will have an exceptional classic office system IMO!

I guess Heresys would be too big on stands in your small room...what other older small Klipsch bookshelf loudspeakers would you consider?

Maybe some Kg 1.5's, 2's, or 2.5's...I've never actually seen Heresys, except in pictures, but they might work...How do they do placed on stands? The room is only about 10' X 10.' The Reference and Synergy bookshelfs would be work too, and would probably sound great, but they're not really vintage. Ideally, I'd like something that would have been available new in the mid-70s and might have been paired with this receiver.

Dale

I am glad you like the receiver! I don't think my current Pioneer SX-980 really has all that much on the Rotel. The tuner sure is good too, isn't it? I was very impressed with the power of that receiver for a 50 watter. Anyhow , enjoy it and keep on Rockin'!!

New or used Heresy's would be fine, mine are on stands, smaller than my KG4's, barely, only draw back, you might need a sub, depending on your taste, I have my sub hidden so you don't see it, some folks don't think I'm using a sub, I guess that's the trick, hide it......................

Raising the Heresy off the floor does decrease some of the base. Why not a handsome later-model Heritage such as the the Forte (affectionately known as Heresy on steroids) that are meant to be small floor-standers, are a little taller and have better bass to start with?

Michael

Michael,

I found a pair of Heresy's locally that I'm proably going to go look at today or tomorrow. The serial #'s are 89T871 and 89T681. Maybe you can help decifer those for me. The guys tells me they are from the late 70's and from the pics they look to be Walnut Oil. He is asking $400, but I'm thinking I can get them a bit cheaper.

I'll primarily be listening to classical and jazz on this system as it is my office and I do need to be able to concentrate (My days of studying to heavy metal are over). Copious amounts of bass are not really a concern, but space is. I have to consider the WAF you know [;)].

Dale

post-15753-13819301997082_thumb.jpg

Michael,

You make a lot of sense..Normally, I couldn't stand speakers with no bottom end either. I just think the Fortes are going to be too much for my small room, and not only in the footprint. I may not be able to place them very far out from the wall, either. I've been looking at Reference and Synergy bookshelfs as well, and I could mount a pair on some stands. Any recommendations there?

Dale

If you get the newer ones 35, etc, you could actually put them on the bookshelves. Any of the older series 3, 5, have the ports in the back and you're back to placement issues.

But then you would be missing out on the 'vintage' sound and look that you wanted. Look at the specs for Forte- they really arent that large, you'd get some floor transmission out of them, and they don't need to be THAT far from the wall or corner, just toed a bit.

M