The real death of quality

Jay481985

I know this isn't the response you are looking for, but, it seems like a great deal to me. If this is real, I might go for it.

Have you read the comments section of that link? It sounds like you are better off unloading them in a yard sale and just go and use the money to buy the iPod. Also, I would not be surprised there are a few unscrupulous types that'll rip'em into the computer before unloading them.

I know this isn't the response you are looking for, but, it seems like a great deal to me. If this is real, I might go for it.

Also, I would not be surprised there are a few unscrupulous types that'll rip'em into the computer before unloading them.
Why wouldn't you?

For what is is worth.

In the late '60s and early '70s, and later, vinyl was the major format. But in order to get recordings in automobiles, we had to use 8 track or cassettes.

It was cool to have recordings while you drive. Later it was cool to have recordings while you walk.

I think that most people recognized these were kludges meant to address the immediate technical issue of getting music where we like to listen.

There are similar issues today. Less than perfect media. But it can be carried around.

The world did not come to an end back then over these issues. I doubt it is going to come to an end over similar issues this decade.

Smile,

Gil

For what is is worth.

In the late '60s and early '70s, and later, vinyl was the major format. But in order to get recordings in automobiles, we had to use 8 track or cassettes.

It was cool to have recordings while you drive. Later it was cool to have recordings while you walk.

I think that most people recognized these were kludges meant to address the immediate technical issue of getting music where we like to listen.

There are similar issues today. Less than perfect media. But it can be carried around.

The world did not come to an end back then over these issues. I doubt it is going to come to an end over similar issues this decade.

Smile,

Gil

Its just the simple fact that you give up media that you brought to buy more media that is more profitable now (99 cent a song). Kinda like when I worked at the apple store where we would give you 10% off your existing iPod when you want to upgrade or it broke, we took any of them and sent them back to the company where they would refurbish them and use them as replacement iPods should your iPod ever fail! You trade something back so they could profit once again! and have worse quality to boot! I see the convienance as I own a 4G iPod 60 gig Photo but meh if it breaks I will pop it open and push the harddrive back in the din socket. oops I shouldn't say that! then all these failures wouldn't cause more buying of the iPod.

Also, I would not be surprised there are a few unscrupulous types that'll rip'em into the computer before unloading them.

Ripping the cds into a computer is not against the law, infact the iPod suggest to get best quality to do that. But, its against the law to share the music say by burning them and giving them to a friend or uploading them on a sharing program/hub.

Have you read the comments section of that link? It sounds like you are better off unloading them in a yard sale and just go and use the money to buy the iPod. Also, I would not be surprised there are a few unscrupulous types that'll rip'em into the computer before unloading them.

DUH!!

Urban dictionary

meh

thumbsup.gif

282 up, 80 down

thumbsdown.gif

used in the greatest tv show of all time The Simpsons. in the episode Hungry, Hungry Homer, bart and lisa respond to a homer inquiry with "meh". mystery solved

Homer: Kids, how would you like to go... to Blockoland!

Bart & Lisa: Meh.

Homer: But the TV. gave the impression that--

Bart: We said "meh".

Lisa: M-E-H. Meh.

by boshk Mar 9, 2005 email it

Meh

thumbsup.gif

163 up, 65 down

thumbsdown.gif

This is a universal, non-commital answer to every question ever posed. Its the answer that deosn't actually give any answer.

"So, you wanna do something tonight?" "Meh"

"Done anything good this week?" "Meh"

"How was it?" "Meh"

...if it breaks I will pop it open and push the harddrive back in the din socket. oops I shouldn't say that! then all these failures wouldn't cause more buying of the iPod.

What are you saying, that every failure of the iPod has to do with the hard drive coming disconnected with the din socket? Anyway, as long as they keep coming out with newer, and better models, I'll keep buying them. You can sell the old one on ebay, and buy the lastest for next to nothing.

Its just the simple fact that you give up media that you brought to buy more media that is more profitable now (99 cent a song).

I'm not sure what you even mean by that. You don't ever have to buy a 99 cent song if you don't want to, and if you do, I'm not sure it's more profitable. If you buy a $13.99 CD vs. 3 songs off the album @ $0.99, they have made $12.02 less, any way you slice it. But maybe that's not where you were going with that.

I've fixed about 9 iPods at college because they found out I worked there that was out of warantee or the technian said it was unrepairable because it gives the sad face or would not boot. I just played around with the cables and even had all their music still on the hard drive. Ok things like when the lcd is shattered or a drop of 10 feet or the battery (which can be replaced and I did for around 15 dollars) I am not stating that every iPod failure is that but if you ever looked at the internals you can see that the weakest part is the link to the harddrive and with the daily movement you can jossle the cable lose, it only takes one pin out of the 60 I believe on the cable. Also if you have a broken ipod, when you reboot it put it up to your ear, if you hear the hard drive spool up and has a problem try reformatting it but you will lose your data. If you do not hear anything spooling up then it might be the cable loose because there is no power to move it.

Studies show that people who buy the iPod buy mostly from iTunes instead of buying the cd and ripping them in. This does not factor the illegal music. Also other downloading programs like napster and walmart music does not work as windows media files are not supported by apple so no 15 dollar a month unlimited fee. (one note is that the music cannot be played after you stop paying as the certificate on the music needs to be renewed every month)

Also its slow but the music company at first tried to kill the downloadable music but the companies show it cannot be shared as easy with the newer certificate service. Also the whole 99 cent profit, its 1 dollar more than people who might not buy the cd at all and just illegally download the music. Most illegal downloads are usually just the one or few songs that sound good on the cd anyways. Also the fact now that cellphone ringtones are helping to move the music industry with the 3 dollars per download helps artists out now. CD sales are important but slowly losing the bread and butter role with newer crappier technology.

Ripping the cds into a computer is not against the law, infact the iPod suggest to get best quality to do that. But, its against the law to share the music say by burning them and giving them to a friend or uploading them on a sharing program/hub.

I know just ripping the CD into the computer is not illegal. I do it all the time, so I can listen to my music at the gym or in the car (I have a 5G 30 gig iPod myself, along with a Creative Lab's solid state 512meg MP3 player). What is "skirting the law" is if you ripped the CD into the computer, and then sold off the CD at a yard sale. Legally, you are not allowed to keep any copies you may have once you dispose of the original, i.e., sold/gave it to someone else.