Vintage receiver shootout

Man, can anyone come up with a Technics SA-1000??

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/receivers/sa1000.htm

All I can say is GOOD LUCK. I've been looking for one for a long time, although I have now given up. I did score a really nice fully functional and cosmetically excellent SA-800 on ebay. I use it to drive a pair of LaScalas. I can't get that thing much past "3" and the output is deafening. That particular "SA" line of receivers have a very pure, clean sound. The 1000 would be such a waste on Heritage stuff. May be great on a pair of RF 7a though.

Billy ,

There's no substitute for headroom ... [:D][:P]

All I can say is GOOD LUCK. I've been looking for one for a long time, although I have now given up. I did score a really nice fully functional and cosmetically excellent SA-800 on ebay. I use it to drive a pair of LaScalas. I can't get that thing much past "3" and the output is deafening. That particular "SA" line of receivers have a very pure, clean sound. The 1000 would be such a waste on Heritage stuff. May be great on a pair of RF 7a though.

Billy ,

That's the same answer I got when I asked the question; "Why would anyone need 1000 watts of a McIntosh Amp?"

The sales manager said; "There's no substitue for headroom"............may be it's true..................

Billy ,

I know that's right Willy, but dammit man those LaScalas get really really reALLY loud ( as I know the Belles do) when listening to music. Now you use yours for HT so I can see the headroom needing to be significant, but honestly, if you were just a 2 channel guy do you think you would need that kind of power for the Belles.

BTW, I'm moving on the 21st. We'll be up in Wescott Plantation and yes, I have room for all my stuff. I'm not having to give up a thing, equipment-wise that is. Not the case for my wallet as far as "rent" is concerned.

Billy

I know that's right Willy, but dammit man those LaScalas get really really reALLY loud ( as I know the Belles do) when listening to music. Now you use yours for HT so I can see the headroom needing to be significant, but honestly, if you were just a 2 channel guy do you think you would need that kind of power for the Belles.

Yep

BTW, I'm moving on the 21st. We'll be up in Wescott Plantation and yes, I have room for all my stuff. I'm not having to give up a thing, equipment-wise that is. Not the case for my wallet as far as "rent" is concerned.

Where the heck is that ?

Billy,

I'm glad you found a great place in Charleston. I'm really sorry you won't be selling some of the legends. Please let me know if you ever hear of any for sale.

Good luck on your new job. By the way, I have one of the first Marantz 2270 receivers ever made and was wondering if it was worth anything?

Gary

Billy,

I'm glad you found a great place in Charleston. I'm really sorry you won't be selling some of the legends. Please let me know if you ever hear of any for sale.

Good luck on your new job. By the way, I have one of the first Marantz 2270 receivers ever made and was wondering if it was worth anything?

Gary

Hey Gary,

Sorry for not getting back to you like I said I would before, but things have been crazy. Hey, if you want to at least hear what they sound like, they probably will be hooked up until Saturday, but I wont be home until Friday. If you come by, you won't have to worry about getting roped into helping since Allied is doing a total pack/move deal. I'll have the boat in the back yard too if you'd like to see that. BTW, the lounge seats are plenty big for stretching out. You can call me @ 513-0107. Yep, that's right, I posted my cell phone number. It will be cut off in a week or so so have at it anyone who wants to prank call me.

Willy,

Wescott Plantation is in the Oakbrook area, across from King's Grant if you know where that is off Dorchester Road. There's 27 holes of golf, hope my system doesn't screw up anyone's shot. If so, hopefully their pard will give them a free mulligan.

Being the thread creator I should poke my nose in and have you all take note that I threw Craig's place as a location for the shootout without consulting with him prior.

NOS Valves, I apologize. I know you are a busy man and it was thoughtless of me to toss you into middle. Again, I am sorry, Craig.

Been doing some preliminary testing with the H/K 930 and the Pioneer SX-880 and have found that the H/K's tuner section stomps the Pioneer, however I haven't added the Sansui 7070 into the test yet. Wished I'd have bought that Rotel 803 that sold on epay recently to compare.

I was thinking that it would be fun to compare all these critters, but as Duke said they're all pretty much the same (1/3). I'm okay with that too. None of this is top end stuff.

It's bang for the buck. Something for the kids. Something for the parastereophiles.

Maybe they'll grow up and not buy Bose just because it sez Bose.

They'll be buying Miatas with traction control provided by Klipsch!

ARFandbark; I think it's a great idea, not everyone here has big tube set-ups, or Outlaw, Blueberry,McIntosh, or all the exotic equipment alot of forum members are lucky enough to own. We own Sony, Pioneer, Denon,Yamaha, equipment the average working guy owns, receivers mainly, and a comparision would be informative to US. Our set-ups are just as important to us as that SET system is to others, my Heresy's are a big deal to me, like the modded Khorns are to other members, so a comparision of equal equipment might just be fun.

Oldbuck,

Keep in mind that ANY heritage Klipsch are worthy of the best systems!

I have a couple pair of Infinity speakers, some vintage RTRs', Polk Monitor Tens and EPI T/E 320s'.

As much as I like the others, I continue to come back to the Klipsch. Love my Cornwalls.

Klipsch ........

As it is with your Heresys. Heard my first Klipsch in 1975. Heresys..

Good friend of mine had them way back. He's gonna be the winner here no matter what.

He gets a receiver and a pair speakers of my choice.

Unplugged my Crowns for this. I'm playing fair.

Tell you what. The Pioneer SX-880 holds it's own against the Harman Kardon 930 other than FM reception and a bit of clarity..