homemadeheresy's AL-3, AB Crossover Thread

BEC

Bob,

Was really interested in what you had to say about those crossovers. It looked as if you were going to posted a few schematics, correct me if I'm wrong. There were a set of AL and AB crossovers on ebay was thinking of possibly picking up a set. The starting price on the set of AB crossovers was $150, which I believe to be a little steep. Considering that they might need tuned up.

The question I had was with the extra inductors, capacitors and the addition of what appears to be a resistor, would they apply a constant impedance on the amplifier? I looked at the pictures and schematics of ALK's crossovers and thought that these might be a simpler version of what he has to offer. Would love to audition a set of his, but they are quite a bit pricey. A set of his crossovers is almost as much as I have in my entire system.

I have read a thread that talks about how the stock crossovers work with the minimal amount of parts. The queston is are his crossovers that much better?

Well, what I said before in the inaccessable post was something like this. The AL-3, AK-3 and AB-2 are really the same crossover with the exception of different woofer caps and added tweeter polyswitch on the AL-3. The AK-3 is also a split design. They are not constant impedance designs which to me is a good point in their favor.

That series of crossovers sort of reunited the big 3 Heritage (Khorn, Lascala and Belle) with the same crossover again like the AA had been used in all 3 earlier.

I would stay away from the AL and the AB crossovers. In fact, I would not really want any of the ones between the AA and the AL-3/AK-3. But that is just my opinion. I am sure some others are happy with those.

What seemed to kill this thread before was when I attempted to post a trace of the FR curve of the AL-3/AK-3. Afraid to try that again.

Bob