Speaking of Midrange Control...

D-MAN

I resorted to the archaic... here's a pic.

It however has a great effect. I'm using felt, of course.

If you are experiencing "peaky" or "shrillness" give this a try before you go off the deep end. You will be suprized at the degree of control it can give you.

DM

post-13458-13819302124582_thumb.jpg

Indeed, there are. But not exactly in the throat, per se, that kills the high end. Slightly outside, to influence the dispersion characteristics.

That is the trick.

Also use "removable" non-hardening adhesive, I'm using 3M 2 sided adhesive strips applied to the felt. That way, it is completely removable, non-marring, and non-permanent PLUS you can position the strips as needed repeatedly.

DM

Yes, same horn. That's a P-Audio 4525 (400Hz Fc), 2" throat.

I didn't have any problems with it until I switched to the BMS driver.

The felt "mods" have tamed it down. Now it doesn't have any glare, and is a natural balance with good dispersion characteristics. I'm pretty happy with it FINALLY.

It's cheap and so am I, although I would like to try a tractrix with a 2" throat like Jordan's.

See the metal dust screen in the throat of the driver? I read that some recommend that you remove it. (Typically the screen is attached to the driver).

That leaves a dust intrusion problem, but regular vacuuming can eliminate that (in a relatively clean environment) somewhat. Question is, is it worth doing?

Have any of you guys tried this? I'm seriously thinking about it.

DM

"It's cheap and so am I, although I would like to try a tractrix with a 2" throat like Jordan's."

DM, I can loan you a pair of trachorns to try. The first pair I made. Not as pretty as Jordan's!-( The original Edgar design is for a 2" throat. I can make a rear plate, You will need to fab a mount for your BMSs.

If you like them, like Jordan, you can build a pair with the information in Dr Edgar's "Speaker Builder" article and bendable birch ply. Or buy a pair from Al but, I think, he reduced the throat area a tad from Edgar's specs.

I have one on top of a Belle right now. Not only is it out standing, it is outstanding.

Rick

Rick,

Thank you very much for that extremely kind offer. Without seeming to be ungrateful and overly picky, is it a 2" throat horn?

I feel bad to even question it, but I'm concerned that the BMS coax driver (2" throat) would suffer in a smaller throat and not give a true indication of the capabilities of the tractrix horn.

I feel bad about having any reservations in light of such an offer. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth! I appologize for my lack of good manners (and bad spelling).

Dana

The difference is that a good driver will highlight the deficiencies of a particular horn, where a less high-performance driver will not. The high-performance driver will take the horn to the edge of its operating envelope, so to speak. I would say that this is a matter of dynamic capability more than anything else.

Also I would point out that the difference in SPL/sensitivity ratings between the two drivers in question is about 12db. Even when the BMS is severely attenuated, the difference in dynamic capability is very apparent to even the casual listener.

But once heard, it's quite "addicting" for its realism. So the BMS drivers stay. That's a no-brainer.

Had a buddy from high school come over and had a listen over the weekend. His response was "I've been to concerts that didn't sound this good!". From me, that wouldn't mean much, because I have been to lots of concerts that sounded BAD, but his point of view was that live music was "best" and that these are right up there with live music as a reference point. I thought it was interesting that he went to his experience with live music vs. comparing to other audio systems (like I would have), but he isn't an audiophile, so that makes sense, I guess, "you go with what you know". We were listening to the system at less than 1/3 of a watt per channel, which is comfortable but enough to fully "blossom". He didn't want it any louder.

I took it as a great compliment. They DO sound good. Took along time to get here, though.

DM

Rick,

Thank you very much for that extremely kind offer. Without seeming to be ungrateful and overly picky, is it a 2" throat horn?

I feel bad to even question it, but I'm concerned that the BMS coax driver (2" throat) would suffer in a smaller throat and not give a true indication of the capabilities of the tractrix horn.

I feel bad about having any reservations in light of such an offer. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth! I appologize for my lack of good manners (and bad spelling).

Dana

Dana, The original Edgar design calls for a 2" square throat which is how I built these. For the 1" throat K-55 I used a 1 3/4" step drill at the adapter end for the contour.

Niel, I could not do it in cardboard so I started making one from plywood. It needs a bit more sanding on my little 1" bench belt sander. The belt broke and I have been meaning to get a new one but it keeps getting pushed back in my feeble mind. Now that you have reminded me, for which I am chagrinned ( I told you once I hadn't forgotten) I have written myself a note, will stop at HD in the AM on my way home from archery practice to get a belt, finish sanding, then put it in Monday's mail. Now that it is public, if I fail I hope to be severly chastized.[:$]

Rick