video cable advice

BigStewMan

I have a Yamaha HTR-5790 and a Sharp LC-37D6U Aquos 37" HD-Ready Flat-Panel LCD TV. Currently, all audio goes directly to the Yamaha and high-def cable box & DVD directly to TV. The TV is HDMI capable; however, my very-limited knowledge about this stuff makes me wonder if it is worth twice the price of Monster S-Video cable? What I read about HDMI seems to say that both audio and video are combined in one cable.

Should I just buy the Monster S-Video cable? (6' HDMI was $119.99 at Best Buy--while an 8' Monster S-Video is $49.99).

Trying to learn this stuff as I go--appreciate your advice.

HDMI is way better than S-video, but don't spend the money on a Monster cable HDMI cord. Go to BlueJeansCable.com or www.monoprice.com get your self an HDMI cable there.

Also HDMI does carry audio, but you should be using either optical, or digital coax to your Yammie for surround processing.

Good luck!

Jeremy

ok--take me to school. (I'm at work, errr...should be working) should my cable box have either a optical or digital audio connection? I know the Yamaha does, I know the TV does; but, not sure about the Comcast cable box. I'm guessing that the audio signal should come from the cable to the amp vice from the tv to the amp?

If your comcost box (Motorola ?) is very very new it will have HMDI ... but more likely it has DVI and a separate optical digital connection. So you may need a DVI to HMDI cable and put the digital audio into your amp separate.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Either which way Lindy is where you want to get your cable from ... good product great prices. And as long as you want 'em.

http://tinyurl.com/z8a5w

I have used many of their cables and they are very good at prices you won't find in a store.

The advice given has been very good, sounds like first you need to sort out your connections then choose the best method of connecting everything together.

Blue Jeans has very good quality cables, as does Knukonceptz (they are built like a tank) and both are reasonably priced.

Here's a link for Knukonceptz Video cables and changers http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?Category=DVI%20/%20HDMI%20Cables#

BTW, the usual not affiliated, related, etc. goes here, I've just been satisfied with their cables I use both the high end eKs and the inexpensive Krystal audio interconnects.

Best of Luck!

thanks for providing some dealer options. if someone would be so kind as to answer this set-up question: does the audio connect to my yamaha from the cable box or the television--or does it matter? sorry for getting so basic, but i want to get it right.

Audio from cable box to Yammie, and from dvd to Yammie. The only connections necessary to your tv are the video from the Cable box and from the dvd player. No audio connections are necessary to the tv unless you plan on watching tv with it's on-board speakers, and not using you Yammie. If your DVD does not have a HDMI or DVI then you should use the component connections (red, blue, green) to the TV. Hope i'm not making this worse.

Jeremy

Jeremy, actually you helped tremendously. That is exactly how I hooked it up trying to use good old-fashioned common sense. I started second-guessing myself when I read about all these different connectors, etc...

Thanks for the help.

S videogreen should be your next to last choice, use the red, blue, green plugs, much nicer picture than S video. I can't believe the difference in picture quality and sound quality when you use the right cables............shop around for best price..............