RF-7 Woes

taiguy

I recently bought a pair of the RF-7's from Klipsch's ebay store and

was delighted with them. I've just noticed however, one speaker is for

lack of a better word, duller, than the other. It's just not as vibrant, my guess is reduced treble - internal crossover issue? I've switched channels,

inputs, and everything else I could think of. The problem speaker still

sounds decent, just not as good as the other one. Any ideas?

Check to see every speaker is working by putting your ear and hearing it. Its sorta common with the gorilla delivery companies to abuse speakers and the wiring inside might have come loose. If that is the case then its a easy put the wire back in situation.

Make sure the rear jumpers are connected correctly, too.

Jay's advice is very sound. Transporting my RF-7s myself from my brother in law's SUV, driving 70 miles then bringing them down into my basement, one of the woofer's wires disconnected. Had to remove the woofer and re-insert the wire.

the problem speaker has sound coming from all 3 drivers, it just doesn't sound as vibrant/clear. there's a very clear difference between the two speakers (I had to call over two friends to make sure it wasn't just me).

If there isn't any output from the horn tweeter, the most likely reason is a loose wire. Remove the screws on the tweeter. It is very heavy with most of the weight on the rear, so be careful not to drop it.

There are two spring clips holding the wires that are easily depressed. If one wire slipped out, depress that clip and replace the wire.

If that is not the problem, call 1-800-klipsch and ask to talk to a service tech. They will help you determine the cause and get you any needed parts.

Shipping sometimes also causes the horn tweeter to come apart.

Bill

taiguy,

That's a bummer. Any luck on troubleshooting?

Now that the holiday is over, if you're still having trouble I'd give Klipsch a call. They have some good folks who should be able to help you... and I know for sure that this situation is not satisfactory for them either.

I just picked up a pair of RF-7s today. I'll be delivering them to my son-in-law. Hope they are flawless out of the box. I don't really want to unpack those big rascals to test them, then pack them up again for the trip.

Both speakers are in the same corner - with an entertainment stand between them. The speaker/tv plane forms a 45/45/90 triangle with the corner if that helps any. No foam is blocking any of the ports. I just got an email back from klipsch's support staff and I just checked the connections inside to make sure none are loose (they're all perfectly tight). Going to try and swap their positions - saved it for last since they're super heavy.

Alright, I swapped the left and right speaker positions and the problem follows. The best way to describe it is the highs on one sound slightly muffled compared to the other. Seeing as the speaker was physically moved I'd say that rules out room positioning. Steve from Klipsch Support suggested that I swap the crossover networks between the two speakers and see if the problem follows the network or stay with the speaker. Unfortunately that involves de-soldering the speaker connections from the crossover network. Something I'm not sure I should undertake right now.

Balance/levels on the receiver are all neutral - I swapped out the Klipsch's for my old DCM TF-400's and they sound the same, so I'm narrowing it down to the speakers and not the rest of my equipment.

Swapping xovers will not entail any de-soldering/ soldering.

The 10's have faston connectors on them, and the tweet has barrel type spring clips. A little time consuming, but if you are careful (easiest to remove a driver or 2) it isn't that bad. I have had mine in and out trying various mods.

that's the equivalent of just swapping all 3 drivers out and leaving the crossover network in place. I can't figure out how to get to the barrel connectors on the tweeter since they're covered by that metal shield/backing.

I'm thinking it's the tweeter. I'm going to swap out both tweeters tonight and see if the difference follows the swap. I've been using Nickel Creek's - This Side, the violin section sounds amazing on the RF-7's, and the violin just sounds duller on one.

Just had another friend come over. And without mentioning anything about which speaker was which - he was able to identify the problematic one. He described it as sounding quieter.

Tried swapping out the tweeters, but can't figure out how to remove the wires from the driver. I can see where they're connected but there's a metal shield/plate surrounding the driver which looks like it's glued on. I don't know how to remove the wire from the barrel plugs.

Push the spring barrel "in" and pull the wire out. Once you get one out and look at it, it will be a piece of cake. For crossover swaps, just remove the wires from all three drivers, 2 spring barrels on the horns, 2 fastons on each of the 10's, remove the torx screws that reatin the crossovers in the cabinets, and wa-la.