maybe it wouldn't have worked out...

SilverSport

...so I find a pair of Walnut Oiled Quartets on ebay...they look near perfect...don't see these all that often for sale...MAYBE I could mate these with the pair I already have and make my Home Theater 4 Quartets (Synergy, Yes???) and my popbumpered Academy center...they are nearby...about a 20 minute drive from my home...WOW...watching on the 'bay...forget to send the seller my questions and...this morning while watching the speakers on their last day (finally) I learn my "neighbor" with the Quarts that would match mine and complete a Quartet and Academy HT will NOT allow local pick up...oh, say it 'aint so!...these close with a $259 (YIIIIKES!) final sale but shipping to me would be about $120 or so apiece???...'twas not meant to be...[;)]...I figure fate stepped in and perhaps helped me out...good luck winning bidder...

Bill

Too bad. Not everyday you find what you're looking for in your own backyard.

What's wrong with some people? Greeeeeeeeeeeeeed!!!!

Could be they aren't as nice as described and the seller figures nobody will go to the trouble to return them? You're probably better off.

garymd...thanks...perhaps that is it...I truly believe what will be will be and I have been blessed by MANY good and even some great deals mostly because of this Forum and its members...I have no complaints except perhaps for my bank account...[;)]...but I must say, musically and knowledgewise, I am LIGHT YEARS ahead of where I was a couple of years ago...thanks to all and thanks for responding Gary.

Bill

I can't speak for all deals, but even a $0.50 (50 cent) phone cover I sold through ebay when I provided my phone number had daily calls from the guy that bought it. He was a bit *challenged*. This went on for two months.

I sell on ebay for a national market...if I want to sell at my home and deal with possible door knocking, I'd probably scrap it.

I have 178+ now since 1998. easily 2x that much in actually transactions where noone leaves feedback.

Even with shipping seems a good deal.

Å

I certainly understand that...if you don't want to deal with the public okay...but...I offered I would pay a PREMIUM to get these speakers (they match a set I already have) to match my Home Theater and I would pick them up at a place of their choosing...furthermore, they would have to box up and send 50 odd pound speakers which means packing them properly and then carting them to a shipper (presumably) and paying for shipping out...I merely mentioned that I would pay UPFRONT and save them the trip if I won on eBay...I would have bid much higher than what the winning bid was...that doesn't mean I would get them but...it was her deal and she can sell however she feels fit...just would have LOVED to get a matching pair of Quartets as I seem to love these speakers...

Bill

I can agree. I have been turned down on these kinds of things too....

Still, I am in the IT/IS industry...I avoid selling PC's to friends and family and just (as a last resort if they don't go away) send them a Dell link.

I was fortunate to get a replacement Academy for my retarded sell back in 199x at $175. They came to my door within an hour :)

Own my second now, and bought it in his living room about 1 hour away for $400.

All I need is Chorus fronts :) and move my Quartets for rear fill duty.

Å

Well, there is obvioulsy a big difference between selling low cost shipping, volume commodity products than high shipping costs, low volume specialty products. Not wanting a door pick-up for something like that doesn't seem reasonable.

But I hear you on the IT/IS support. I too work for a major computer company, and everyone one of my friends seems to think I'm their 24X7 on-call computer support. I wouldn't call my friend the electrician and ask for free labor and at cost electrical wiring.. or my dentist and expect free teeth cleaning.. why do these dudes seem to think I should look into their PC issues for gratis?!

I like the give them a link to Dell.. thanks I'll use that one!

Believe me, I see where you are coming from..however; I no longer offer anything bought from my doorstop. Just too much headaches...I sell nice items. I take care of things I own and trash what I wouldn't want to buy myself second hand.

I am willing to meet locally on some high-priced things, but for the most part I have found it a big time drain.

Å