Affordable Subwoofer for KLF-30s?

Mr. Blorry

Hello everyone.

I am in the market for a subwoofer for my rig, and I wanted to hear what would be an affordable compliment to KLF-30s. I bet the new reference series SWs are killer, but that is WAY beyond my budget, as I'm sure Velodynes are as well. I am using Heresys as surrounds, and a C-7 center. I would love to keep the cost below $500. In a better economy, I would love to upgrade, but I am in a pinch to say the least. Suggestions?

Mr Blorry,

If you want the best value forv your dollar these should fit your budget and your needs.

SVS Cylinder(take a look on the SVS page)

HSU TN1220(alot like SVS)

Paradigm 2200(super buy,if you can get a deal you are set for some time)

That is about it(good output and very competitive pricing).

TV anything to add here?

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thanks!

Got another question. That VTF-2 looks like a great value, but I have this weird belief that my subwoofer driver should be of equal or greater diameter as my other speakers. Is this faulty logic? I have two KLF-30s and two Heresys, so I have a total of six twelve inch woofers in my room. This sub is a mere ten inches. Ideally, shouldn't I have a fifteen or eighteen inch sub to properly compliment my other speakers? In other words, aren't larger diameter drivers better able to reproduce lower frequencies, or is it more a matter of amplifiers and enclosures?

Mr Blorry,

Yes most of the time the sub has more cone area then the mid-bass drivers.

One thing to know the HSU 10" driver can move alot of air for a 10".Its plenty if you dont need huge output.

If you listen to bass heavy music at high volumes then you need more.Like SVS Cylinder or SVS Ultra.

To match your speakers I would get two SVS Ultra and the Samson amp.Not the cheapest sub but will keep up with the rest of the system down to below 20Hz!

I even matched a Sunfire Mark II with Klipsch RF-7's to good effect.The Sunfire may be a 11" cube,but it can move lots of ait and will dig down below 25Hz with power.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Mr. Blorry

Heres my vote for the SVS combo. I have a pair of 20-39's with the old Fidek amp. The combo is awesome, I can watch TMP, Toy Story II, The Haunting, etc. at reference levels and not bottom out the subs. There is something to be said about loud clean deep bass. Everyone must experience it. Around $1200-$1300 for the pair with the Sampson amp is worth every dime.

Earle

This message has been edited by Earle Decker on 11-11-2001 at 09:55 AM

personally-i'm savin'up for the rsw-15, but if you get a good sub,keeping in mind lower frequency reproduction to at least 20Hz, with decent spl, any that fall w/in your $'s will make a big difference in your system's performance..what kind of receiver or pre-amp are you using? does it have 'bass management'?avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 32"tv and sharp xv-z1u lcd projector

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

AVman

They used to call me AVguy when I was in the A/V bidness! It's been a while though, and now I'm in this crazy computer field. cwm36.gif

Right now, I'm pushing everything with a Denon 1801. It has a LFE out which I have never used.

So much newer music and remastered stuff (not to mention modern movies on DVD) has such a strong bottom end that I'm worried about damaging my woofers. I have never heard audible distortion, as I do know when I'm about to clip the amp, but I know I'm getting wicked excursion; hence the desire to have a device better able to handle those frequencies. Am I being too paranoid? I'd hate to blow a woofer!cwm32.gif

This message has been edited by Mr. Blorry on 11-11-2001 at 09:26 PM

mr b, just to add to the short list, u may want to also check out a velodyne ct-150 or ct-120. velo does make some lower priced subs & the ct actually have no accelometer which some consider a handicap clamp downer on higher SPL for the sake of lower distortion.

though i think the pw2200 is a bit louder than a ct-150. the ct has some other things though for bass quality. haven't heard an HSU.

just that i've seen net prices around $500 for the 150 & $400 or under for the 120. & velodyne may be easier to find/demo in your area. believe even circuit city still carries the ct.

i thought both were pretty nice subs. the vel pr guy even told me that 2 or more ct would go better w/ klipsch speaks than an hgs. like my hgs though.

just thought i'd throw that in the mix if you're really looking to stay down around $500.

if you had a spare amp channel laying around u could do the smaller sv passive sub for $369. even that w/ a lil $150 monoblock would still be around $500.

wonder how that would compare to the others above (tv)?

------------------

My Home Systems Page

meant to add this on the velos:

"...THE CT-120 IS ONE OF THE FEW SUBWOOFERS I'VE TESTED AT ANY PRICE THAT COULD

PRODUCE CLEAN OUTPUT AT 20HZ..." Tom Nousaine, Stereo Review June 1998

but of course a few things have changed since '98 Smile.gif

& here's the ct-150 for $499 fe:

http://sql.onecall.com/PID_951.htm

that's a good deal as the ct-120 & 150 have apparently been replaced by the cht-* at velo.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

ears, i'm talkin sub US$500 subs here Wink.gif, but nousaine measured 87db at 20hz w/ less than 10% distortion in that article w/ his methods. would think the ct-150 could do better there. it does bout 106db at 31.5hz, about a db less than the pw i think.

the ct do use a current sensing servo tech that i think does limit the output some for the sake of less distortion or better quality (though as tv has said that introduces another form of distortion).

what do the hsu & smallest svs w/ say a lil 150W rms amp do specswise (again $500 price limit)?

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 11-12-2001 at 03:37 AM

Boa,

Right,I forgot the price.DUH

106 dB is plenty around 30Hz,no problem here.But the 87dB at 20Hz is a bit weak,still not a problem unless you want to hear the largest pipe organs in thier full glory.

If I had a limited budget then I would look at twi brands,SVS and HSU.Quality,output and very small footprint.

The HSU and SVS can do well above 87dB at 20Hz.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

yea ears i'm actually looking for a good music only (for now) sub for the listening lounge & my current pain threshold is $500 tops (well maybe +shipping).

that svs 25-31CS (Sub Only) for $369 sounds great but can't remember the specs (know the 25 means it's tuned to 25hz). that's the only way to get the sv sub $500. could use the old ken receiver 165W rms as the amp.

& anywhere to get the specs on the hsu tomnousaine above)? wonder if he ever reviewed his own namesake?

tv, how does your 25-31cs stack up to the tn1220. sorry i have to ask. cwm4.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 11-12-2001 at 08:58 PM

Boa,

Yes ask TV how he will see this matchup and also send an e-mail to Dr Hsu from HSU. Smile.gif

Now you will get a good idea,if you only ask TV you will get his pointy of view,as if you ask two sides you will then be able to weigh the positive and negatives out and decide.

I cant talk about the HSU TN1220 or the SVS Cylinder since I did not have a SVS Cylinder(just the awesome Ultras Smile.gif )and the TN1220 is a distant memory.All I remember it could be very musical and it had serious sub bass.And the TN1220 was and still is a real bargain too.

Wink.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Tom Nousaine reviewed the TN25 a while back..107.1dB(25-63hz).

He hasn't reviewed a TN20 AFAIK.TN hasn;t reviewed a 25-31 either.

If you were looking to add a SVS for under $500, I'd try a 25-31cs match to one of those 250w Parts Express plate amps(subwoofer amps). You have to build a little 3 sided cigar style box to set the amp in...but at $125 it's a great deal.

I think it would be better to compare the TN20($499 passive, tuned to about 18-19hz I believe) to the 16-46cs($519---16hz) or the 20-39cs($449---20hz). The TN25 would be more like the 25-31cs.(at least in tuning point).

TV