Affordable Subwoofer for KLF-30s?

Mr. Blorry

LOL the tn in the hsu 1220 is tom nousaine. guess he was a consultant & name there. doesn't that make it hard for other subs (especially like an svs) to compare to that tn1220 as he also does the reviews of their subs? kinda a conflict of interest or no? cwm4.gif

i'll have to try & demo the hsu if I can find 1 'round here. that even has a built in amp no?

just interested in tv's view there. love these sub wars Wink.gif don't see Dr hsu nor TN on this forum though.

Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

That would be fun,and I would like to see what Dan Dagostino,Bob Carver and Nelson Pass would have to say about the SS amps sounding the same. Wink.gif

And yes Bob carver could say a thing or two about subs himself.As he invented the true minature sub,before the tiny subs were just bass modules with low output down low.The Sunfire True Sub started a revolution.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I don't believe Tom Nousaine had anything to do with the naming of any product...and he uses easily repeatable measuring methods so there's little chance for bias induced skewing of the data published. Tom Nousaine is one of the most honered members of the AES...there's nothing to worry about.

If you're looking for max extension from a 25-31,we can tune it to about 22hz. In a typical room, this would provide anywhere from 106-112dBs of output in the 20hz range(using the 250w PE amp). You'll trade off a little headroom >25hz...maybe a dB.(by tuning lower).

TV

tv, this is from hsuresearch.com for the TN series:

The TN series is inspired by Tom Nousaine, one of the most respected subwoofer reviewer. He introduced

a new criterion for subwoofers: square footage of floor taken up by the subwoofer. The TN series takes up

the least floor space of any subwoofer that we know of: less than 0.8 to 1.1 square feet. There are

currently two models in the series: the TN1220HO, and the TN1225HO. The TN1220HO extends flat

down to 20 Hz at very high levels, while the 1225HO goes down to 25 Hz..

would think they'd have to pay him for that. maybe he donated the $ to charity. i meant the conflict may be more for you. you may have to compare your subs to his

while at the same time hoping he'll do a review on your subs. seems like no biggy though. i do respect his reviews.

u guys will actually custom tune a 25-31? you are great (if it's the same price that isSmile.gif) if u did it to 22hz would it be ok to use 165W rms off the old ken receiver & how much loss of headroom? would it still be ok using a marantz sr8000 receiver sub preout w/ a crossover at 80hz or would that then be too high?

------------------

My Home Systems Page

>>>would think they'd have to pay him for that. maybe he donated the $ to charity. i meant the conflict may be more for you. you may have to compare your subs to his

while at the same time hoping he'll do a review on your subs. seems like no biggy though. i do respect his reviews.<<<

I don't think there was any type of compensation,but I really have no idea. I'm not concerned at all with Tom Nousaine's possible bias...he's a man of honor.

I've been involved in many a heated debate with TN long ago...(involving many of the issues around here,like amps,wire,sub issues). The more time I took to research the topics involved and the time more time I spent measuring stuff for myself...the more I realize how right his POV was.

>>>u guys will actually custom tune a 25-31? you are great (if it's the same price that is)<<

No, it's $500 extra.

Psych, it's a no charge option during the construction of the sub.

>> if u did it to 22hz would it be ok to use 165W rms off the old ken receiver & how much loss of headroom? would it still be ok using a marantz sr8000 receiver sub preout w/ a crossover at 80hz or would that then be too high?<<<

80hz would be fine, as would the kenwood amp. You'd lose about a dB of maximum output capability in the 25-35hz range. But 165w won't push the sub to it's absolute limits anyway...so it's a win/win situation for you right now.

TV

------------------

Mr. Blorry,

Check out the Velodyne SPL1200 - OneCall has a closeout of some Factory Refurbished B stock for $749. This sub usually goes for around $1200 (MSRP of $1400). I just got one, and it is a great sub, especially for the $750. If you could stretch your budget another $250, you could have one remarkable sub. It has the full manufacturers warranty (2 years), and mine came triple boxed, without a scratch on it. I have no idea what was replaced on it, but it could be as simple as a new grill - who knows.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Bryan

if you have the opportunity to 'sweep-test' a sub, see how well it reproduces low (teen to 40Hz) frequencies. it can be a real eye-opener Eyes.gif there are discs (dvd and cd) that will do this. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 32"tv and sharp xv-z1u lcd projector

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

thanks TV. looks to me like it's between SVS 16-46cs & HSU TN1220 as far as the best passive subs for "around $500+shipping".

so is this hsu claim still true: "The TN series takes up

the least floor space of any subwoofer that we know of: less than 0.8 to 1.1 square

feet."? how much does that matter for performance here?

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 11-13-2001 at 03:16 PM

>>>so is this hsu claim still true: "The TN series takes up

the least floor space of any subwoofer that we know of: less than 0.8 to 1.1 square

feet."? how much does that matter for performance here?<<<

It's not a performance related issue,except incidentally to other considerations. It's nice to have such a small footprint,but there's always trade offs too.

if anyone owns a tn25 or tn20...they know even lightly brushing against it if you walk by can topple it. With the driver on the top of the enclosure...it's not overly stable.

btw- if you plan on using your own amp with the TN20...remember it needs about 6-7dB of boost around 20hz to maintain a flat response signature. I think Dr. Hsu sells a little EQ box that will take of that for you though. I'm not a particularly big fan of adding a lot of EQ like this though...esp when speaking of limited amp power to begin with. Every 3dB of EQ takes 50% of your amp headroom...so having 150w...but needing 6dBs of EQ means you've effectively eaten 75% of the amp headroom just for the EQ which is needed to maintain the response sig.(in other words...37w would play just as loud at 20hz as 150w if the TN20 didn;t need the eq boost)

TV

"btw- if you plan on using your own amp with the TN20...remember it needs about 6-7dB of boost around 20hz to maintain a flat response signature. I think Dr. Hsu sells a little EQ box that will take of that for you though. I'm not a particularly big fan of adding a lot of EQ like this though...esp when speaking of limited amp power to begin with. Every 3dB of EQ takes 50% of your amp headroom...so having 150w...but needing 6dBs of EQ means you've effectively eaten 75% of the amp headroom just for the EQ which is needed to maintain the response sig.(in other words...37w would play just as loud at 20hz as 150w if the TN20 didn;t need the eq boost)"

Very correct,and this is why I liked the Ultras so much,all the watts that go in will go out as SPL,no limiting EQ.The ideal sub does not use any EQ to boost its response dwn low.And SVS is doing just that!

Smile.gif

And may I add the SVS has better drivers,and yes it is more stable then the HSU(driver up).

Now its quite clear SVS is the price performnce king

TheEAR(s) Now theears