Center Channel Question

Dr. S

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and would appreciate anyone's input who has an opinion on the following speaker issues I have. I'm wanting to get the Reference Series of floor speakers - am looking at the RF-35, the RW-10 Sub, and may have to go w/ in-ceiling speakers for the back surrounds. I know Klipsch has updated the entire Reference Series, but can't find much info here on the website. I'd be happy to buy it. Here's my delema:

I'd like to get the RC-35 for the center channel. Unfortunately, it won't fit in my entertainment cabinet I have for my plasma, as it's too deep. I can't go more than 8" deep & 8" high. The width is not an issue. I know this is a travisty, but what's your opinion of using the Klipsch SC-1 center channel speaker instead with the Reference Series speakers? The frequency response is in the ballpark between the RC-25 & RC-35. I realize it's not the Reference Series, but size-wise, it will fit. If not the SC-1, does anyone have a better center channel recommendation?

For the in-ceiling speakers for the surround, what is your recommendation? The room all this is going into is an open room design, but in general, approximately 12' W x 22' L. The couch is approximately 14' from the TV & front speakers. How far back would you place the in-ceiling surrounds? Behind the couch is a kitchen table / nook.

Again, any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, as I love Klipsch speakers. I used to have a DJ business, and ran the heck out of a pair of industrial Heresy's for many, many years. After almost 20, they're still going strong.

Speaker matching has little to do with frequency response matching. Think crossover, driver material, etc.

In your case you might be better off getting better front mains and running a phantom center channel.

Thanks everyone for the input. As for the surrounds, it's an open room, and there's only one wall which I can't put in speakers to, so it has to be ceiling. Any recommendations? Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions.

Hi DrWho - I suppose I could, but kind of looking for a cleaner appearance. From the lack of enthusiasm, I'd say most here don't like the in-ceiling speakers... : ) If I were to go w/ speakers hanging from the ceiling, what models would you suggest? Thanks

Is the cieling completely flat straight into the kitchen, or is there a segment that drops down to help deliniate between the rooms? If you have a drop down, I would mount something like RB-35's in the little nook so that they're not as intrusive. I believe they can even be purchased in white...or maybe that's only the RS-35's...I'm not sure. This would be an ideal approach because you would maintain timbre matching to your mains.

If you end up going the in-cieling route, then I would mount the speakers such that standing behind the corners of the couch they are directly above your head.

As far as the center channel is concerned...I suppose you can get by with an SC-1. I'm using one inbetween my Chorus II mains simply because I can't afford anything better (gotta love college budgets) and I must confess that it's not too great of a performer. If you're in the area I would be more than willing to let you try it out and see for yourself.

I am curious though why you are limited to an 8" depth. The RC-10 looks like such a promising contender, but a depth of 9.1". If it all possible to implement it I would - even if it means knocking out a back panel or something crazy like that.