La Scala

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I ask just where did you put the glass wool? What results are you trying to get from adding this? I know that several people have wrapped the mid horn with dyna mat to reduce the resonance of the horn; I have not done this myself yet but may do it just to see what the difference is.

Good luck Bill

Hello,

I also wrapped the k55 with Wood knell to eliminate a resonance but it is for the serious box that I do not have a good result.

I have carry out tests by putting glass wool in the box of the k33 and I find the result not good.

It east vrait that Klipsch my nothing dedant it my attention it is for a use of sound system me it is for a use at the house.

Pierre.

Your results are correct. As Marvel states, there is no benefit from installing any material in the K33 bin.

If you hear resonances from the box, most likely they are the large sides vibrating. Triangle wedges can be installed or otherwise stiffen the sides of the main cabinet.

It is impossible to gain much below 70 Hz with the LaScala due to the size of the horn. It is efficient but does not play very low notes.

Some have wrapped the K55 metal horn with a clay like material to eliminate resonance. Or you can buy new K401 plastic composite horn new also about $50 US each.

Michael

It is impossible to gain much below 70 Hz with the LaScala due to the size of the horn. It is efficient but does not play very low notes.

Michael

Michael,

Although not a slam in the chest kind of bass, I have found my LS do quite well at reproducing the open "B" on Victor Wooten's bass (Flecktones). Solid and there, even with the Moondogs. No eq in the system at all. Acoustic bass is outstanding.

Later this Fall I will do the bass mod (open the doghouse and enclose the top, put in ports).

Bruce

I was speaking from Doc's 'measurement's perspective. Technically, the LS does not cover the very lowest octave very well. I understand the port mod alleviates this somewhat.

I consider the LS very worthy for the playback of traditional musics (electronica notwithstanding). The bass is natural and blends well to the 400 horn. However it is not sufficient for HT or very loud rock music imho.

I use a powered sub woofer with my LaScala's. Xover point set at 80hz.

This moves the bass mission off the LaScala's and in doing so cleans up the mid-bass as well since the k-33 is only operating from 80 - 400hz.

I have read a couple of posts from persons who liked the "difference" that was made by stuffing the LaScala doghouse. I think this would have been something certainly considered and dismissed by Mr. Paul.

It makes sense (in my very lay understanding) that this would not be helpful in a horn loaded woofer configuration. What is somewhat surprising to me is that the sealed Heresy cab is not stuffed. Most any other small cab type speaker on the market would be filled. It is my understandng that in a sealed cab, the effect is the same as having a larger cabinet volume. In a speaker, like Heresy, where bass response would be improved by a larger volume cabinet, I wonder why it would not also be improved by stuffing the cab.

Does anyone know why this should be so. Is the result something that is indeed counter to conventional speaker wisdom?

Daddy Dee

Intrestingly the dampening material is usally only required on one of the opposing flat sides. So in a 6 sided square, three pieces would be required.

In looking into the Hersey cab, an intresting observation can be made. The horns inside the cabs actually help reduce wave bouncing across opposing sides by the very nature of the shape of the mid horn, relative to the small size of the Hersey cab.

Thank you for your many post, I took good note of all that you wrote.

I think well that the vibrations come from with dimensions from LaScala and I make manufacture reinforcements in the shape of triangle.

I wonder whether a pair of cornwal would not be better for me?

In any event thank you with all for your answers.

Cordially from Belgium

Pierre.

In Dee's and Fritz's posts, there are two different theories being applied. Dee speaks of stuffing the cabinet of any sealed enclosure with loose polyfill, which does increase the 'apparent' volume of the cabinet by a factor of around 1.5. Think of it as making the internal air more dense if you will.

Fritz is speaking of the lessening of internal standing waves by introducing dampening material on one of each set of parallel sides, typically top, side and back. The LS doghouse, being trapezoidal, does not really have much of a chance of any undesirable standing waves forming.

Michael

And yes Pierre, the Cornwall has a bit smoother bass. Some do not care for it's smaller mid horn so much. To my ear piano and vocals suffer a bit.

But if I could have only one pair of speakers for Home Theatre, rock and roll, and jazz, I would own a pair of Cornwalls. They also take up less floor space.

Michael

1) the parallel top and bottom of the LS back chamber invite the production of standing waves at submultiples of frequencies that fit between the two surfaces.

Adding a layer of absorptive material to the BOTTOM of the back chamber will decrease the likelyhood of producing standing waves and will suppress some natural reflectivity in the back chamber.

Do not add too much or it will tend to over-dampen the upper-and-mid bass frequencies.

Even a small amount should be noticable in greater clarity of the bass frequencies, slightly more will lower the Vr slightly, enough to be noticable. The balance is when picking up more bass, you loose more the top-end.

The case for adding additional absorptive material is when you want to use a driver that needs more Vb, or when you want to reflex port an LS, for example. Effectively you can increase the apparent size of the Vb by as much as 25%.

Colterphoto1 Mike said...

I consider the LS very worthy for the playback of traditional musics (electronica notwithstanding). The bass is natural and blends well to the 400 horn. However it is not sufficient for HT or very loud rock music imho.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Booooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooooo

Ah.... so "Flight of the Phoenix" did not do it for you? Wow, and here I thought you liked it? Guess that means again beauty and sound are in the eye and ears of the OWNER.. I will keep the 7 split La Scalas with the KA 1000 amp and the 2 THX subs, thank you! Sounds pretty friggin amazing to me!

Hello,

It is true that the sound of the scala is really super, there are just resonances which I think come from the with dimensions one, I would think of doubling the with dimensions one with multiplexing of 22mm adhesive what would give 38mm with that all will be quite rigid! I already worked on the base which has my opinion is not rigid adze the plate of origin is replaced by a plate of multiplexing of 22mm with 25 nuts with wood which is adhesive on the bottom of the case I left a passage identical at the origin. To close another plate of 22mm which is fixed suitably on the other with 25 screws (metric) what replaces the assembly of origin. Great rigidity and beautiful assembly I will send photographs as soon as possible to you.

Thank you for Belgium

Pierre.

The thing about La Scalas is it is the exact top of a K horn...So great highs and mids.. From the BIG BOY horns... except the bottom is different in its delivery and ability to not go as low as a K horn. Some like it, some do not.

What do La Scalas need for power? There are 2 camps here..

1) A very good tube amp being driven in that first 1/2 a watt to say 5 watts .(not including peaks) These tend to sound wonderful, warm, and powerful. Sometiomes, in my opinion, this is a great choice for some types of music becaue in this set up most do not play at medium loud to loud levels.. So this suits them fine too.

2) A good SS Amp 50 - 100 - 200, whatever... WPC, again of that first few watts are very clean and you have LOTS of headroom to spare.. But do not be fooled, those older Harman Kardan 430's sound wonderful as well. So do McIntosh, Sunfire, etc., amps. The key is in this section (ss amps) is it is very critical to be clean too. Especially in those first few watts. La Scalas really do sound wonderful with 100+ WPC amps..

So why the difference in suggestions? I am sure on a technical level, a lot can chime in here too. In my humble opinion.. to an outsider looking in?? Tube amps sound warm with the the possibility of the slight introduction of distortion at early stages that give them a more real and "air ness" that seems more live and they get up to speed faster so that is where that "warmness" comes into play. Think of your car engine RPM level running about 1/2 to 3/4... the engine just responds better..

The SS amp needs to be open some too. and to breathe..

Hope this helps in explaining my feelings on the La Scalas, they are wonderful speakers.. They do not go as low as K horns.. Even that said, a K horn needs that 20- 40 level for HT too, trust me, you need it. The bass on a K horn is different too. Some like it, some do not? With the THX subs..the la scalas really sing well too.. Colterphoto1 and I can attest to that, too.

I first heard this system at Klipsch headquarters pilgramage, and with Trey's system too, before I pulled the switch. (La Scalas and the KA100 amp 2 subs...)

I am very happy I did..

One final thing, if your lucky to have Split La Scalas you can point the tops exactly where you want them as well. Good luck in your own Nirvana La Scala sound search!!