What preamp/amp would you need for the rf 7's and/or 83's?

Kaiser

I don't know much about HT's, but if I start of slowly with a pair of RF 83's, with the eventual expecation of going for a 5.1 system, what do you I want to look for in a preamp and amp? And, if I go with only those speakers first, can I get by with a preamp for awhile, or do I need an amp, too?

To start try to listen to the 83s and 7s,they do sound different,you may very well prefer one over the other.After that it's all about how much you want to spend,since you mentioned 5.1 here's a few options..You could get a lower cost avr (5.1 or 7.1 start about $3-400) then add more speakers later.You could get a prepro(new start about $700 up to $2k for good midfi) and a 2ch amp($500?) and add 3 or 5 channels later.You get a good prepro and 5/7 channel amp for around $2k or even less from Emotiva,Outlaw etc..Like I said,it's all about how much $ you want to budget.

With a 1068 etc..you have to have an external amp/s.The reason prepros are used by some vs avrs is more amp options,dedicated power supply/circuitry and generally better parts all adding up to improved 2ch audio over most avrs.For HT most good avrs Denon,HK,Yamaha etc...upper mid lines offer good sound but for 2ch just don't measure up,imo.