Refinished my LaScalas What do you think?

LyleS

Hi, This is a pick of one of the pair of 1980's vintage LaScalas I'm using as main speakers in my full DD/DTS and music setup.

I used a router to round over the outside vertical corners, and around the tweeter, and midhorn. A special bit was used to provide a decorative edge around the top.

I used a royal mahogany stain on the speakers covered with a couple of coats of polyurethane.

I know that they are no longer the original light birch, but I kinda like the look as they turned out.

I'm powering them with a NAD 7140 stereo receiver (40W RMS x2) via the main in jacks on the NAD, and the pre-out and switching of inputs is off of my Onkyo Integra DTR 7 receiver. My best source for sound is my Panasonic DVD Audio Video player RP91.

The black box to the left is my Klipsch KT-SW15 sub (Klipsch shielded THX model) I'm using THX LCR speakers for center channel and surround channel duties, and my KT-DS THX dipoles are currently setup in the bedroom system.

Lyle.

------------------

Gear: Klipsch THX home cinema: KT-LCR, KT-DS, KT-SW15

Onkyo Integra THX select receiver

Panasonic A120 DVD.

Lyle,

Great job on the fronts and I love the bevel you've given them...very classy, but are you going to finish the sides the same way? It looks like they're the original birch finish? Or in the least, a different shade of stain?

Chris

------------------

2 Channel #1:

Dynaudio Contour 3.0s

in black ash veneer.

Cary SLAM 100 monoblocs set to 95w Triode.

Blue Circle Galatea tube preamp.

Sony SCD-1 SACD player and ART DI/O DAC.

Kuzma Stabi w/external

PSU, Stogi Reference arm, Lyra Lydian B MC (.4mV) cart, SF Phono 1 SE tube stage.

PP300 and Chang CLS 9600 ac conditioners.

Stealth PGS ICs, Audio Note AN-VZ silver ICs, Vampire Wire ST-III copper spkr. cables and Shunyata Black Mamba & NBS AC III/Serpent II ac cords.

2 Channel #2

Wright Mono 8 300B monoblocs.

Doc Bottlehead's full blown Foreplay tube preamp.

Alesis Masterlink 9600 4.3g HD CD burner w/Dodson 217 mkII 'D v.1' DAC.

1974 Cornwall w/vertically arranged Alnico magnet drivers.

Italian ESB 7/08 3-way floor standers w/1" silk dome tweeters, 2" silk dome Mids and 10" woofers.

Restored Dynaco FM-1 w/stereo board tube tuner

Actually the sides are the same colour, and stain, must be the lighting when I took the digital pic.

If you look closely at the bottom of the speaker, you can see that I didn't get to the bottom of the speaker, and the plywood does show the light birch colour in that thin strip at the base.

cwm1.gif

Thanks for the reply.

Lyle.

------------------

Gear: Klipsch La Scala ;THX home cinema: KT-LCR, KT-SW15

Onkyo Integra DTR-7 THX

Panasonic RP91 DVD

NAD 7140 Stereo receiver powering LaScalas

Hi,

Unfortunately I did the refinishing as soon as I got the speakers to increase the WAF in bringing them into my HT. So I have no comparison on what the bevel around the horns actually did to the sound characteristics. I have found that I like the sound best with very little toe in of the speakers.

The speakers currently are pointed to intersect about 10 feet behind the listening position.

Lyle.

------------------

Onkyo Integra DTR-7 THX

Panasonic RP91 DVD

cwm24.gifI freaked when I saw the plant on top. My original birch finish was damaged by a leaking plant. I found some birch laminate to place on top and now they are stained and waxed. Your poly coating is good idea but I would lose the plant. After the damage and pain I suffered my wife agreed. By the way, I love the beveled look!

• 5 weeks later...

EJH, don't sweat it, wifey rarely waters the plants, and I'm getting so much enjoyment out of the La Scala's that I'm viewing the risk of refinishing them as an acceptable consequence of her accepting them into the room as plant stands...

Lyle.

------------------

Onkyo Integra DTR-7 THX

Panasonic RP91 DVD

• 3 weeks later...

Lyle, I read your post when you initially put it up with the pictures and really liked what you did. In fact, I have a pair of raw birch Khorns which I'm starting to disassemble and refinish. I like what you did with the mahoghany finish and the router. Could you forward details (maker of the finish, what clearcoat, which router bit)? I'm new at this and am learning as I go along, but I'm having fun and taking my time.

I'm doing the Khorns one at a time; I've stripped off the lacquer clearcoat to get to the lightly stained birch. The veneer edging was largely gone so I've stripped that off and will put new edging on prior to staining and clearcoating.

I just ordered the superamp/pre that you referred to, plus a "New Tube 4000" CD player. All tubes, one end to the other. Al K is making up a pair of networks for me ... so hopefully this will come together before spring.

You're input is appreciated!

Chris

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

you asked-

why ruin a perfectly good set of speakers, even if they are LaScalas, should of left them in the

condition PWK preferred. if PWK thought that easing the baffle edges was a "good" thing, he would have done it. the "decorative" routing job around the top panel does nothing but strain the glue joint by removing the structural constraint. punched a pretty large hole in the resale too.

This message has been edited by John Warren on 01-05-2002 at 07:45 AM

Well, I can't quite agree with John.

I believe the LaScalas were produced to be the most raw form of a bass horn. Rounding off corners probably does little to alter sound, but may well suit the owner's fancy.

Any owner should feel free to customize and pretty them up. These are cosmetic changes. I doubt the structural integrity has been compromised. I'd agree that resale value has.

None the less, Lyle's work is part of the fun and the pride of ownership. Nice work.

Gil

Hi, The stain is a standard product from home depot in Royal Mahogany.

I covered it with basic polyurethane.

The corners and around the drivers were done with a basic round over bit. My brother in law pulled out the bit for the top bevel, I'm not sure what it is called but the profile starts with a small straight vertical drop and then it gradually flairs out to the side edge, almost looks like the inside of a bowl.

I know that my refinishing skills may not be as good as some, so would suggest you check with others who are more knowledgeable.

As far as the resale value ... :DSmile.gif

That won't be an issue for many many years, these speakers aren't going anywhere soon. Smile.gif

Besides I picked these up for $200.00 US for the pair so I don't think I'm going to lose much if I ever resold them.

Thanks for the compliments.

Lyle.

------------------

Onkyo Integra DTR-7 THX

Panasonic RP91 DVD