A really good vacation:

boomac

On the 26th of July I drove back to my old home town in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Pennsylvania. It was a reasonably good drive considering I always have to get through Chicago to make my way east. Two and half hours to Indiana was pretty good.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Highlights of the drive: Route 80 is always a beautiful stretch of road. I had a dandy hoagie at the WaWa Shop located at the junction of RT 80 and the NE Extension. I really enjoy WaWa coffee as well.

It was great to see my Aunt & Uncle and their home feels like home to me. On Thursday I had lunch with an old HS classmate. Hes a successful attorney who has been around town since graduation. We had a good time catching up. Later that afternoon one of my best friends drove up from Virginia. That evening another friend arrived from southern PA and we talked about old times over cheese steaks and beer.

On Friday my uncle drove the three of us down to the Neshaminy Creek where we unloaded a canoe and a kayak. Even a couple thunderstorms and a tip over couldn't ruin things. We had a great time reminiscing as we paddled past several memorable country locations. While fishing at the old Reading Railroad trestle I caught a nice bass and had several other bites. Later, fast water and a tree fall brought on a spill that caused Bill and I to lose our shades (his were prescription). My darn Razor also got wet but it was well worth it anyway. (I had the phone in a plastic zip bag but the damn think must have leaked.)

After diner we bid good bye to Jim. Hes got a boat down on the SassafrasRiver and had arrangements to meet his wife and kids for a weekend on the water. Bill and I then left for Philly to pick up my wife at the airport.

Bill headed back to Virginia on Saturday afternoon and Susan and I took my aunt and uncle out for dinner. My brother, who had driven up from Wilmington, also joined us.

Sunday afternoon Susan and I headed south for a planned visit with Garymd and his wife Catherine. Traffic was snarley and we were late but we made it. As usual, it was great to see my old Forum Buddy and his wife. Susan and Catherine had never met but we figured they would get along and they did. The G-Man and I were able to slip away and listen to some excellent jazz on his downstairs K-horn based system. As usual it didnt disappoint. In fact, both of Garys systems sound excellent and anybody coming in for the October get together will be in for a real treat.

Dinner at Gary and Catherines was fantastic. Maryland lump crab and corn on the cob were on the menu and like his audio systems they didnt disappoint. It was one of the best meals Ive ever had. The combination of the excellent audio systems, dinner and fine company insured an evening to remember. Thanks to Gary and Catherine for everything! It was a pleasure. Hey! That coffee wasnt bad either pal! BTW, Gary and Catherine recently remolded their kitchen and wow! they did a great job. The new just flows perfectly with the original and both Susan and I were really impressed with the lay-out and decorating. Did I say that coffee was really good?

About 8:30 or so we left and headed to WilliamsburgVA for some colonial tourist type action. Although we had a good meal at Christina Campbells Tavern, we found Williamsburg, in general, somewhat overrated. Call or e-mail before you commit to a visit there.

Two days was plenty of time in Williamsburg and we headed off for the western part of the state and the famous

Skyline Drive
. The drive winds about 110 scenic miles through the ShenandoahNational Park. We didnt have time or gumption to hike and camp off road but we did see deer and wild turkey. Toward the end of the drive we rounded a corner and damn if an old black bear wasnt trotting up the road way. I stopped and grabbed the camera as he leaped over a brick retaining wall. He then started to climb a tree. At that point he was about 6 feet from my wife who was safely seated in the 4 Runner. I jumped out, with camera in hand and being careful to keep the truck between me and the critter. By the time I got positioned he had come down off the tree and I quickly spotted his back about 10 feet away and behind the wall. I snapped a quick shot and jumped back in the truck with his smell still in my nostrils. Unfortunately, I grabbed my 35mm instead of the digital so I have to get the film developed. Ill post pictures later. I doubt theyll be great shots but I think I got enough to show the situation.

One more night in VA and it was back to the Midwest. We stayed off the interstates as much as possible, stopped at several antique stores (found nothing that we couldnt live without although I was tempted to make an offer on an original and very minty Hopalong Cassidy lunch box and thermos. They were askin $515 tho' and I figured that was a bit over the top!)

We got home about 5:30AM on Thursday. Yeah, we drove all night to avoid another Hotel charge. Actually, I wasnt all that tired and figured it would be good to get through The Windy during what are usually off hours.

Again, thanks to Forum member The G-Man and Catherine for a great dinner and evening.

On the 26th of July I drove back to my old home town in Pennsylvania. It was a reasonably good drive considering I always have to get through Chicago to make my way east. Two and half hours to Indiana was pretty good.

Highlights of the drive: Route 80 is always a beautiful stretch of road. I had a dandy hoagie at the WaWa Shop located at the junction of RT 80 and the NE Extension. I really enjoy WaWa coffee as well.

Just out of curiosity, what part of PA? I've lived in DuBois for nearly 8 years and in Clarion for another 4 years (while going to school there). WaWa does have some great subs. Nice we got one just up the street from my office (as well as a Sheetz).

Sunday afternoon Susan and I headed south for a planned visit with Garymd and his wife Catherine. Traffic was snarley and we were late but we made it. As usual, it was great to see my old Forum Buddy and his wife. Susan and Catherine had never met but we figured they would get along and they did. The G-Man and I were able to slip away and listen to some excellent jazz on his downstairs K-horn based system. As usual it didnt disappoint. In fact, both of Garys systems sound excellent and anybody coming in for the October get together will be in for a real treat.

I've heard Gary's setup and it is nice. It was one of the reasons why I hope to eventually aquire a pair of K-horns that I could setup in my basement as a dedicated two-channel. Gary and Catherine are some very nice people, and I am definitly looking forward to seeing them again in October.

About 8:30 or so we left and headed to WilliamsburgVA for some colonial tourist type action. Although we had a good meal at Christina Campbells Tavern, we found Williamsburg, in general, somewhat overrated. Call or e-mail before you commit to a visit there.

What? And you didn't stop in Fredericksburg to say hi (plus if you where wanting to look at antique's, there are plenty of shops downtown)?

I've been to Williamsburg myself a couple of times. It is pretty neat, but found that if I am going down that, I'd rather go into Busch Gardens or Water Country USA.

I've also been up in the Shanadoah National Park plenty of times myself. I've always loved hiking the White Oak Canyon trail - some absolutly gorgeous waterfalls along there. However, that is a very difficult hike. Basically think of a 5-mile long staircase! [:o]

Glad you had a wonderful time visiting the "Old Dominion". I've been here for 13+ years and still love it (although I could do without the ridiculous amount of traffic in this area).

Scott,

I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed the rest of your vacation. We were a little worried about the heat.

We also enjoyed your visit very much and I just knew Catherine and Susan would hit it off. They're very much alike. I finally find a buddy whose wife gets along with mine and he lives in Wisconsin! I think maybe it's time to relocate pal.[;)]

We picked up some "Crab Bombs" from our favorite seafood resaurant to cook in our new duel fuel convection oven. The keypad is really touchy and after about 5 minutes of the 20 needed to cook these babies, Catherine accidentally hit the "Clean" button and the oven door locked!!! Susan and Catherine were scrambling to figure out how to unlock it. The directions said it could take up to 3 hours to open!! BTW - This was our first meal using the oven. Live and learn.

I tried the circuit breaker but it still wouldn't budge. Finally, after about 25 minutes, the door unlocked. I pulled the pan out of the oven, stuck in the thermometer and was pleased to see the food had cooked to the perfect temperature. How lucky was that???

Anyway, it's always great to see you Scott and now maybe Susan will tag along on future visits. You really should talk her into coming in October!

Strathmore tix go on public sale on August 11 and seats may go fast after that, so let me know before then if Susan decides to come AND wants to sit in the balcony with the rest of us. The 17 signed up for the concert includes five couples.

Steven Sorry for not stoppin by but we left <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Garys late and wanted to be in Williamsburg by midnight. I did gas up in Fredericksburg though. If you recall, I took my daughter to visit MaryWashingtonUniversity when she was looking at schools a few years ago. Its a darn fine and beautiful school as is that area but youre right about the traffic. Both DuBois and Clarion are just off Rt 80 in western PA. I passed them coming in but I grew up just outside Philly in BucksCounty. The kid and I also visited Clarion because my nephew went there and was on the swim team and the head basketball coach is a friend from my old neighborhood!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Gary I forgot about the locked oven door. It sure didnt affect the dinner. I had crab cakes at Christina Campbells Tavern and they were darn good but they sure werent on a par with what you guys served. Damn, that was a fine meal. Of course the company wasnt bad either!

Larry I didnt get the check mailed yesterday so Ill make it for $50 and figure Susan will come. She had a great time at Gary and Catherines so unless the Bell cant survive a day or so without her shell be there.

Lordy! Its after midnight and girls tennis starts at 8:00AM. That means old boomac has to get up in 6 hours. Ah, no biggy. I can always get up for fishin, golf or HS Tennis.

Sounds like a great trip. Wish you'd had time to swing by Indy and take in a stop or two here.

Thanks for sharing. It always does the heart good to hear about you guys out enjoying life and meeting each other. That is always a special occasion.

Michael