Loss of red on Sony 55 RPLCD - signal or TV problem?

BillH2121

The last few days I've been having an on and off again problem with my Sony losing red color. The loss is usually preceded by some bands of light red across the screen and then complete loss of red color in picture - lasts a few minutes then goes away. During one of these problem periods, I played a dvd and there was no color problem. Am I correct in assuming that because the problem didn't exist with the dvd, this is a signal problem (line, box, etc) or could it be a problem with the set itself? Thanks for any help.

First thing you need to check is your cables...

my neighbor was having a very similar problem and I tracked it to his use of to short a cable from his comcast cable box to his set... connection was 'strained' to say the least

rather then getting a new $50+ cable, we went to circuit city and bought a center ch/cable box shelf and relocated the cable box on top of the set

Petrol - I haven't had much chance to watch TV the last few days, but my wife and daughter report that they didn't notice any problems. The cable to my box was not tight as with your neighbors, but it was running under all the speaker connects for the HT system as well as power cords etc running to the TV, cable box, dvd, etc. I rearranged so that the cable was not buried under the other lines to minimize possible interference. Another thing though is the cable company reburied my ourdoor cable on Tuesday - it could be that some of my problem was associated in someway with the outdoor cable. So far, so good - I'll watch this weekend and see if any problems. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Also if you are running component cables if they are switched you will get that problem but it will be constant. (red to blue jack, green to red jack, etc.) More than likely it is a bad connection on the red component cable. This may also happen if you have a ground loop problem.

JJK