Jubille: some first impressions on sound.

Coytee

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No real idea. Prior to the Jubilees arriving, I was told they'd be here "next week", and then after a week went by "next week" and then .."soon"

Finally they (the pro Cinema dealer, not Klipsch) let us know they'd been backordered and were in process of being made. I think they're made in Germany.

I'd say 2 weeks ago, I got an email from Doug (Cinema dealer) and he said there were 50 in process of being made/shipped. He confimed that we both wanted one (yes) and says he pulled some strings such that we're supposedly getting units #1 and #2 as soon as they get the shipment in.

The shipment at that point, was supposed to be on the high seas somewhere between here & country of origin (back of unit on website says Germany, but might now be farmed out to the big "C" in the sky??)

I emailed Doug just the other day to see if he had any update.

I've not heard back from him yet. On second note, our Roy (aka BerryBoy) has been gone for a week so even if I had it, Roy's not been here to give me the numbers to use when programming it.

Each day however, gets us a day closer to the end! [:D]

Another listening note...As I've been typing, I've been listening to Ray Brown Trio.

I think we've all heard some rattle/buzz in the room with our speakers when they hit a low note loud enough. No surprise with that.

I'm currently sitting upstairs, down the hall, with the SINGLE speaker playing downstairs. It's not loud per se', just playing 'strong' so to speak. (I've not blown any more fuses [:$])

As I'm sitting here at the pc, the music is hitting some notes that would be causing my fireplace to buzz, which it does at times. What is interesting is I have something buzzing HERE in this room too. I can also feel my chair & footstool vibrate.

This single Jubilee, at moderate levels using a patchwork of wrong crossover and at -12 db from 1000 hz on up, is carrying the sound into the house, a lot nicer and a lot 'deeper' than the Khorn seemed to do. Granted, the speaker happens to be pointed at the stairwell but so was the prior Khorn.

Frankly, I think I'm just now beginning to realize what an animal this speaker is! It's doubly amzing to me that it's making some of the sounds it's making given how contorted I have probably made the signal level with all the fiddling I've done.

The Jubille's are a 2 way system, that's interesting, any reason they did that? Most of the bigger speaker systems are 3 way, very interesting change of direction...........

I read and heard mention in Hope that PWK strove for a 2 way system but was only enable to fully realize it with the Jubilee. Correct me if I am wrong but the with fewer drivers you have higher sensitivity. 3 way khorn is 104db 1 w 1m where as the Jubilee is 107 or was it 110 db @ 1w 1m.

Usually efficiency goes down with "bandwidth" - meaning the wider range the driver covers, the less efficient it should be. But that just goes to show how much speaker technology has advanced over the years. PWK couldn't do 2-way in his day because there were no drivers capable of it! I have heard that he tried "every" driver on the market to no avail - so it was always on his mind. The great part about PWK is he understood reality and went 3-way because it sounded better, not because that's what he wanted to do.

Mike is right about that, efficiency has everything to do with bandwidth.

The problem with bandwidth is that the wider it is, the higher distortion; of course, that means that efficiency is lower, as PWK noted, efficiency and distortion are inversely related.

Using drivers with a rising response curve (they get louder as they go up in frequency) is one way to increase the Fh. That doesn't solve the distortion problem, though.

One benefit of dual-drivers is that the efficiency is doubled, allowing a higher bandwidth (and lower efficiency) to be used, and an added benefit is that the IM distortion is lowered due to less required excursion compared to a single driver. Using 2 drivers balances out alot of things.

So comparitively, the use of dual drivers allows for lower operational efficiency (but still comparable with a single driver) and a wider bandwidth, and less distortion because of the drivers being operated well below a single driver's capabilities.

Its a balancing act.

DM

Well I was thinking more in lines of the HF horn. There have been some strong advancements in phase plug technology that could never have before been implemented without some of the manufacturing processes available today (specifically that plastic water gunk that solidifies with lasers and builds one layer at a time). The ideas have been around for a while, but you still gotta be able to build them too. [;)] The bandwidth of the bass bin would still mostly be there with a single driver, but the efficiency would be about 6dB down. I suppose if someone wanted to be real crazy they could go for double stacked Jubilee bass bins with the HF horn just in front. [H]

Hey Coytee, you listening? I think your wife would be much more appreciative of your current speakers if you got another pair of bass bins [;)] Afterall, wasn't it she who was asking where all the bass was?

Well, horns are horns, the only thing different is the wavelengths involved!

Exactly the same physics apply.

If you reduce excursion (by any means, including increasing the acoustic resistance), distortion goes down, bandwidth narrows, and efficiency goes up.

DM

Isn't there a difference between hornloading a normal driver and a compression driver? It'd be interesting to implement similar "phase plug" tricks on them woofers - who knows, maybe get them to drive up to 2kHz...and then you'd be in a situation to use some ribbon tweeters.

Coytee

since your bass bins are 8 ohms (if actual) and the es600's were designed for the 4 ohm actual (6 ohm effective), the new low pass cross over point is now 800 hz instead of 600hz.

depending on the values of impedance of the tweeter, the high pass section may have shifted as well.

Isn't there a difference between hornloading a normal driver and a compression driver? It'd be interesting to implement similar "phase plug" tricks on them woofers - who knows, maybe get them to drive up to 2kHz...and then you'd be in a situation to use some ribbon tweeters.

I've seen some designs but they tend to be for the smaller (Lowther) cones. Here's one.

post-13458-13819307546416_thumb.gif