Paint grille cloth?

BobRiff

I want to change the color of my Heresy grilles from brown to black. Is there a way to dye the original fabric? The grilles are in good condition, I just want to change the color.

A guy over on AVSForum recommended using a product called Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Coating. It is apparently used to re-color fabrics in cars, but he said he used it on his grille cloths and it worked fine. He said it imparted a "starchy" feeling to the grille cloth, but won't flake off and doesn't block the weave of the fabric.

Has anyone tried anything like this? I don't want to end up wrecking the grilles, and this sure would be a lot easier than trying to sell them on Ebay and buy black ones.

Thanks,

Bob

post-19548-13819307570356_thumb.jpg

The product you mention might work fine if applied in several thin coats however the possibility of blocking the weave is very real. Most grille fabric is made of synthetic fiber and won't dye very well as the material is generally non-porous. Traditional cloth dyes are water based. Another method that may work is leather or shoe dye with a sponge applicator. Try a small patch area first.

If you look on this forum there are several posts on replacement grille cloth material. It is actually not terribly difficult to install new material and the possibility of clogging the weave would be eliminated. As a bonus you have a choice of dozens of different weave patterns and colors.

It would be MUCH better and cleaner (maybe cheaper as well) simply to replace the grill cloth: Dura Crest Fabrics, Inc. (708) 344-4900 (ask for Ralph) has what you need at a very good price. Ralph sent me a sample of their #17 black, and it was EXACTLY like the black Heritage grille cloth, just as he said it would be. Make sure you say "Heritage." I believe Ralph said they used to supply the grilles to Klipsch & Associates.

• 2 weeks later...