BASIC QUESTION

jcmusic

DrWho I did not use any cheater plugs, as I tried them to no avail. What I did was go to R.S. and get a ground loop isolator. It got me back to where I started, there is still a slight hum but it is a big improvment. In time I hope to get it worked out.

jay

What'd you end up doing to fix the problem?

I just wanted to throw in a quick comment about the cheater plugs; their use decreases the safety of your equipment. If a cheater plug works, then you know you have a problem with your power source that should be corrected. Though the sonic problem is gone, the electrical problem is still there. I use cheater plugs all the time so I'm not condoning their use, but twice now I've been electrocuted as a result. Just something to keep in mind.

If you have been electrocuted twice using them then you have no business using audio gear at all.

DrWho I did not use any cheater plugs, as I tried them to no avail. What I did was go to R.S. and get a ground loop isolator. It got me back to where I started, there is still a slight hum but it is a big improvment. In time I hope to get it worked out.

jay

If a cheater plug did not have an effect then the ground loop isolator should have no effect. Me thinks you have an intermittent ground connection that will resurface next time you mess with the gear.

Craig

DrWho...you couldn't have been electrocuted! I saw you in Hope.

The term electrocution can mean either:

accidental death or suicide by electric shock

deliberate execution by electric shock, usually involving an electric chair

Let's hope Dr Who never takes the path of a criminal. He would have no qualms about committing any monstrosity because he'd know they could strap him into Ol' Sparky and throw the lever and he'd just be smiling all the time.

i must disagree, having to use cheater plugs does not mean there is a problem. prior to the last 20 years or so 3 prong grounded plugs were not common. the ground wire is only there as a safety if the equipment malfunctions and loses the neutral conection or places the hot wire in contact with the metal case and initially was implemented on power tools and other high current draw equipment. in recent years the national safety council has decided make laws that everything must have a ground, what it does is create a ground loop. you already have a ground loop via the shield of every audio cable in your system, multiple grounds create hum. the reason why you can get a shock between different pieces is because of the way some power supplies are designed and if you have the plug inserted 180 you can tecnically place the hot (black) wire on the chassis

Many older homes in this country don't have grounded electrical systems. All of my current model Anthem / Sonic Frontiers equipment has the typical 5 sided computer type computer power cables without the ground pin because in Canada a ground isn't required by law

http://www.prosoundweb.com/studyhall/sr/whitlock/grounding.php

http://www.prosoundweb.com/live/articles/daverat/shocking.shtml

The two times I've been "electrocuted" with cheater plugs happened when

trying to lift the ground on old guitar amps that were buzzing like

crazy right before the show. Ya, it fixed the audible problem but both

times I got shocked when I touched the back of the amp. Being 14 and 15 years

old, I was just inocently using "old tricks" passed on from other more experienced sound guys that

would exclaim how much it wasn't a problem. Apparently I should just be

naive again, not "play" with audio anymore and continue to blindly use

the cheater plugs.

Yea, I still use them, and they've never been a problem all the other

hundreds of times. But that doesn't mean they're always safe. The NEC

doesn't require 3 prong grounding just for the heck of it.