Request for info: Tractix vs. Exponential horns

damonrpayne

There is a great paper written by some grad student that Roy showed to PWK to sell Paul on the idea of tractrix over exponential...I can't remember the title off the top of my head, but it's probably a bit too technical....though it'd be great has a reference for the article.

If I were to sum it up into one sentence, it seems tractrix has much better off-axis behavior and less throat distortion. Meaning more output and a wider coverage angle is possible (thus why all pro-sound applications have since moved to tractrix and similar designs).

Use the search function to find "Article re Tractix Horn". I posted it in August 2004 in Technical Questions. This the article by the Klipsch engineers in Audio.

Okay guys, maybe someone can tell me how to link to old posts.

I've also posted several other articles about Voight's (sp) tracrix but they are difficult to find with search without getting many, many hits.

In my view, the best article on midrange horns is D.B. Keele's "What's So Sacred About Exponential Horns." You can Google for his website.

Very generally speaking, the original tractrix anticipates the horns designed by D.B. Keele. Keele uses an analysis based on transmission line design, a hyperboic at the throat, a conical section, and a rapid flare at the mouth. Voight was concerned with making a horn so that the spherical wavefront met the wall of the horn at a right angle. Some of that worked out to the same shape.

The Klipsch organization is using the tractrix term as a trademark on horns which are varients on the original.

Gil