I hate to start another TT setup thread but....

Clarence

I'm having problems. I dont understand the cartridge downforce adjustment, the azimut adjustment, or the Anti-skate adjustment. Other than that, its all ready to go. Anybody familiar with a Pro-Ject Debut turntabe and have time to chat on the phone? I am starting to get a headache.

Beautiful table though. I can tell I will be happy with it once its properly set up. I have large, dumb hands. this thing needs somebody with smart, small hands. I hope that it stays set up when its done, or I am sending it back. The Sony is playing Joshua tree on the bedroom system right now. No problem's, mon!

Thanks!

Will this help? -- A Beginner's Guide to Cartridge Setup. Nice, clear pictures, very clear writing if a bit long.

You need a Shure gauge (the cheapest and plenty accurate) to get the "downforce" or tracking weight right -- No. 3 in the Guide.

The azimuth is whether the cartridge is tilted in or out when viewed directly from the front -- again, a good picture under No. 6 in the Guide (it looks like a slight outward tilt to me).

The anti-skate applies an outward force to the arm to neutralize the tendency to "skate" inward. See No. 8. Some tables have a little weight on a string and some a simple numbered dial. You have to follow the instructions to set it correctly. However, I set mine so it won't skate inward when the needle is first lowered into the groove, though that doesn't match with the manufacturer's instructions!

Hope that helps -- lc

I'm to frustrated to play with it tonight, is anyone available tomorrow? Scott I read over the instruction manual multiple times. I just dont understand the parts and how to make the adjustments.

I would prefer to do it over the phone, or live, if anyone in the area would like to help. Beer is on me. I live in Waterford.

The ProJect and Music Hall's are pretty easy to set up. The first time you see one of these though, that counterweight with the rotating scale is always conufsing. That and the fact that the manual gives the tracking force in mN instead of grams and also falsely states (I think) that 1mN = 1 gram and it's enough to make you scratch your head a few times. If I'm not mistaken 10mN = 1gram(close but not exactly).

Edit: I PM'd you my phone number. Give me a call whenever you feel like having at it. It's easier than it appears and once set, should stay set for some time.