Newbie in Need of Advice

cbfrish

I'm about to buy my first new system in 35 years (believe it or not, my Pioneer pre-amp/amp/tuner purchased in 1970 is finally getting replaced). I've pretty well settled on a Denon 2807. I've heard the Kipsch RB25/RC25/RW10 combination (which will cost about $1,500) and a similar set-up consisting of Boston Acoustic speakers, which I didn't get the model numbers of, but are the same size as the Klipsch's and will cost about $1,000. I really like them both and can't decide between them. My interest in music is mostly Beatles, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Allman Brothers, Led Zepplin type stuff. The other main use for the speakers will be "home theater" consisting mostly of TV, some DVDs, many baseball games.

I have size and budget limitations that are leaning me toward the Bostons. Can somebody here help me justify the extra $500 for the Klipsch set up?

Thanks.

One plus for the klipsch is their sensitivity. They are very easy to drive, my synergy SF-1 mid-tower has 94d sensitivity. Which means you dont need as powerful of amp to drive them loudly and clearly. So the klipsch will give you more output and play louder. The main reason id say the go with klipsch(i havent heard Boston acoustics full speakers, only car audio) is the horn sound. It is more authentic to the theater, and is tough to match for the level of detail it will reveal in a 5.1 track. Not saying the bostons wont. But go to your theater and look at the speakers...Im betting they use horns as most theaters do. There IS a reason for that other then they sound better[6]. And that reason is nothing can match horns for detail.