promedia ultra 2.0: sometimes no sound

Godai85

• 2 weeks later...

An update: I haven't had any sound cuts while listening to music. I've in stead noticed, when not in use, a light and short static noise followed by a total silence. At this point, there is no sound. I've to switch it off and on. My idea is that when the hardware goes to sleep- or in an energy saver status, the speakers are somehow affected.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello i'm FRENCH, and I have the same problem, this is very "emmerdant", seems to be a real default.

I'm waiting for a french explanation to clean my speakers please.

Raph

Hahaha! :-D Super ce post. Alors, en français: tu dois ouvrir l'enceinte droite, celle avec le contrôle volume e basses (lumière bleu). Ensuite la nettoyer (la partie en bas) à l'aide d'un bomb comprimé d'air. Désolé pour la qualité ce mon post, je suis hyper fatigué.

• 3 weeks later...

And here's yet another displeased customer affected by the already frequently mentioned problem.

I bought my PM Ultra 2.0 on ebay over a year ago. For a short time, a few days at most, I was amazed of the great sound. After that, the terrible volume knob began to crush all joy at those wonderful speakers down. As I'm from Germany, I started to search through german websites and audio forums to find a solution. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything and gave up for the time being. Since then I used the speakers very seldom, so they couldn't annoy me too much. But finally I didn't want to give up yet and searched the web another time these days, going beyond german speaking sites this time. So I got to this forum thread and what a incredible surprise - I'm not the only one!

For now I tried the "1st step fix" turning the volume knob back and forth several times what seems to work - for now. For "2nd step fix" I have ordered a small can of Caig DeoxIT and I hope that stuff is worth the money I have to pay for it here and comes up to the praise heaped on it everywhere.

Regardless of where the fault comes from and how long the fixes will work I want to say "Shame on KLIPSCH!" too for the way this "isolated case" is handled, neither admitting the problem nor accommodating the customers. Hopefully I will not be the last one to say that I will never buy Klipsch again as well as deterring as much people as possible from buying Klipsch Group products.

Maybe just some "isolated case customers" post in this forum thread, but maybe some clever Klipsch employee can imagine where those more than 16,000 views of this thread come from?? It's just about 8,000 to 16,000 times the average number of views of a single thread in this forum...

And here's yet another displeased customer affected by the already frequently mentioned problem.

I bought my PM Ultra 2.0 on ebay over a year ago. For a short time, a few days at most, I was amazed of the great sound. After that, the terrible volume knob began to crush all joy at those wonderful speakers down. As I'm from Germany, I started to search through german websites and audio forums to find a solution. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything and gave up for the time being. Since then I used the speakers very seldom, so they couldn't annoy me too much. But finally I didn't want to give up yet and searched the web another time these days, going beyond german speaking sites this time. So I got to this forum thread and what a incredible surprise - I'm not the only one!

For now I tried the "1st step fix" turning the volume knob back and forth several times what seems to work - for now. For "2nd step fix" I have ordered a small can of Caig DeoxIT and I hope that stuff is worth the money I have to pay for it here and comes up to the praise heaped on it everywhere.

Regardless of where the fault comes from and how long the fixes will work I want to say "Shame on KLIPSCH!" too for the way this "isolated case" is handled, neither admitting the problem nor accommodating the customers. Hopefully I will not be the last one to say that I will never buy Klipsch again as well as deterring as much people as possible from buying Klipsch Group products.

Maybe just some "isolated case customers" post in this forum thread, but maybe some clever Klipsch employee can imagine where those more than 16,000 views of this thread come from?? It's just about 8,000 to 16,000 times the average number of views of a single thread in this forum...

If you bought it from Klipsch online on ebay and it acted up within days why didn't you have it fixed under warranty...if you bought it as I suspect on ebay...don't you think that the one you bought may have been trouble and that is why the original owners got rid of it???...I be the Caig's DeoxIt will fix yours up nicely...as I have written previously...the one I bought from Klipsch has been wroking great almost three years now and the one I had problems with, I bought off the 'bay...Good luck in your quest for sound...

Bill

In fact I bought it from a private and not a commercial seller or even Klipsch. And of course I suspect that the former owner already knew about the trouble, but as he was a private seller I couldn't return the speakers. No warranty was left either.

At least I'm confident now in the success of DeoxIT after I have read such a lot of recommendations from so many audiophile people in so many forums...by the way thx from me for that solution, although it might be better to thank you not before it showed that it really works ;)

the first time I tried it...I used a product other than Caig's DeoxIT...it was an electronic contact cleaner...it workedfor a very short time...when I tried Caig's DeoxIT it worked and I have yet to still have the problem recur...I do not work for Caig's nor Klipsch...just trying to help out those that had the same problem I did...

I have a theory that the knob/potentiometer builds up a static charge and that is why we lose the sound or get static...I believe the Caig's has a bit of lube in it along with the cleaner and this small amount of lube is enough to keep the static from building up on that switch...just a thought but there it is...I am glad to hear yours is working fine now.

I have since used the DeoxIT on several receivers and amps...some that were destined for the trash heap...those receivers and amps have worked fine since then (proving at least to me that their problems were not part failure but either dirty and/or "lubeless" parts

Bill

I had a similar experience with my ProMedia Ultra 2.0 Computer Speakers, which I purchased at an Apple store in May. They were brilliant for about four months of low usage, and I never played them loudly. Then I began experiencing popping, crackling, unsteady volume levels, and alternating speaker failure. The problem was worst when I tried to control the volume. I finally got the volume in a fixed spot where the speakers worked okay, but when the computer was restarted, they would pop loudly and go back to being ornary. In short, these speakers lasted less than six months. My impression is that they were extremely cheap, poorly made speakers with shoddy wiring, though I know the Klipsch brand is supposed to stand for better than that. I haven't tossed them but I have replaced them -- any assistance on restoring them would be great!