Network (1976)

Amy

• Moderators

I just saw this movie last night. Powerful stuff....darkly satirical--or is it a satire?

30 years later, much of the story still rings true--eerie how it still fits our times. Makes you wonder if things will ever change.

If you haven't seen it, check it out. 3 best acting Oscars, Peter Finch very notable for the "washed up" anchorman with a renewed career after a mental breakdown. Faye Dunaway outstanding as the ratings-hungry executive whose reality mimics the TV shows she programs....

This movie is OUTSTANDING. If you want to know why our news and media is the way that it is (profit oriented only, and NOT to inform), this film is the blueprint as to why this is the case. After seeing this film, I have never seen "TV News" the same again.

And while it is satire, it is much more: an indictment of what we call "TV NEWS". This film exposed TV news for what it really is - profit motivated infotainment. After 30 years, I'm still mad as hell on a daily basis at our news media. It's not about media being liberal/conservative - it's about CORPORATE PROFIT to the expense of what news is meant to do - INFORM. So it's funny until you realize the true implications of what it means....

The modern extension of "Network" is "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart". "TDS" aims to expose the same flaws and issues that "Network" does, only on a daily and continuous basis by using the news media's own tape against them. They both expose the same issues, albeit with different angles and points of view......but the conclusions drawn are similar. See also Stephen Colbert's rant at this past year's White House Correspondant's Dinner. The biggest "victim" of Colbert's "roast" wasn't the administration - it was the PRESS.

In my book, it's a top 20 movie - a MUST SEE.