OT- Dog teeth. any vets here?

Clarence

My dog has a discorored brown tooth. I took her to the vet and they want $300 to remove it. There is no abcess or other damage to the tooth. Just dark. They say its dead from the inside What to do? Seems like alot of money, and it does not hurt her.... If I can put it off, how long? My dog is 7, and is quite healthy other than this.

post-21157-1381930827553_thumb.jpg

Cost me $425 to have a tooth extracted. Hurt like crazy...was bothering me during the Pilgrimage, had it removed shortly after.

I guess if it is causing no discomfort, leave it alone.

Same ole Lions...lost 9-6 to Seattle. Sounds like they played with intensity...signs of a turn around?

How do you know it doesn't hurt her? Animals have a high tolerance for pain; perhaps she's just being brave and not letting you know how much it hurts. I've seen a Labrador retriever with a half-inch deep cut on his paw ignore the cut and keep right on retrieving while bleeding all over the place--not my dog by the way.

The other reason to go ahead and have it done is that it may get worse AND WOULD BE MORE EXPENSIVE LATER. Did you ever see the old Fram oil filter commercials on TV: "Pay me [a little] now, or pay me [a lot more] later." Maybe you remember the Nike sportswear commercials since they're more recent: "Just do it."

short list or long list.

remember, ob, your buddy clarence just got back to work last week. ;)

STOP............You know your dog is your Best Friend......Short List.....She's been there for you through everything, has she not?.......Ol' Prince of Blackness, Do the right thing for your Dog.............quickly!!!..........Rock On............Who's still by your side????

P.S........I'm a Vet!!!..................Veteran that is.........

I'm curious as to how you became aware of the tooth originally. If the tooth is actually impairing any habit the dog usually exhibits (eating in particular) then it maybe already involved in a secondary infection. If, on the other hand, it is strictly cosmetic and not causing any noticeable impairment in the animals character or habits then you may be able to merely observe the tooth. People do retain "dead" teeth. Sometimes they require root canals if the tooth is activelly infected but the tooth can be bleached from the inside or the outside and rendered cosmetically allright. Get a 2nd opinion from another vet (yeah more $$ just to learn more info). It is also important to learn if the animal will do well without the tooth. If the vet says you can watch it then be sure to get some clear instructions on looking for early signs of infection. I had a cat die from an infected tooth and I've seen people die from them too. As part of the skull they're in close proximity to a lot of blood flow and neural structures. An upper tooth is a very short distance from the lower brain (in humans, anyway).

Hey there we go..

The tooth is a lower right side middle tooth. Lemme get a pic for ya. I'm not concerned with cosmetics, only for the dogs health. and my wallet. (2nd) It does not hurt her, (that I can tell) and I was playing with her and a rope bone when I noticed it. It doesent seem to be in a position that it would hurt her one way or the other, it will however be noticible if its gone.

Clarence... T'is a lot easier to observe teeth in people than dogs. You can ask them questions and they will show the teeth on request. Try calling another vets office just to discuss oral dog care and bring up a darkened tooth as part of your general inquiry. If their input is as dire then mebbe t'would be best to bite (sorry 4 the pun) bullet and yank that lower molar.

Interestingly I watched a "Doctor -G" coroner program last night and one of her evenings clientelle had died from an infected tooth gone untreated. His was in the lower jaw and the infection migrated into his jaw, the neck and finally the upper mediastinum (the breastbone). He died of bacterial sepsis (blood borne bacteria) as the infection was too out of control. That said he was a total idiot. The symptoms were off the wall and he chose to ignore the obvious until it was too late. Caught early on and a simple course of antibiotics would have saved his life. He ignored a ton of pain, swelling. fever, etc..... I watched a young Mexican farm worker die from a tooth infection that had gone into his brain. Bacterial infection was a constant killer in this manner before antibiotics came into play.