Star Wars Trilogy DVD set

gary101050

Hey all,

I just saw yesterday that the original Star Wars Trilogy is out on DVD in a box set. This is different from the individual movies just released yesterday. I must have been living in cave because I did not know about this. I am asking for some informaiton and opinions about this set. The one I saw was in a gold cover. It was difficult to read the specs. through the wrapping. I know that there was a wide screen version and a full screen version available. I would like to know about the sound quality and the picture quality as well as the sound formats, such as Dolby Digital, DTS 5.1, 6.1, etc. Also any other opinions you may have

Thanks for your help.

Gary,

I have the original trilogy box set, it is the widescreen, silver box set. I believe the gold box was the full screen version, at least it was here in Canada. The version I have is THX certified (Dolby Digital) with no DTS. I doubt that any George Lucas DVD production will ever have a DTS soundtrack, as he is the inventor of THX (which is Dolby Digital based) and I'm sure he believes it is superior. As far as an extended soundtrack (6.1) goes, I can't recall if the box set has one. I will have to check when I get home. There are extra scenes included in the movies, that were not included in the original theatrical versions, and an extra DVD showing the movie production and hoopla surrounding the release of the movies. It sort of took me back in time, as I forgot how big these movies really were.

I thought the video and sound production was quite good, and the box set was well worth the 45 bucks (Canadian) that I paid.

-PB

Okay, the Star Wars Trilogy was released on DVD about Two Years ago, In the gold and silver packages Silver = Widescreen, Gold = Fullscreen. Picture and Sound Quality is Excellent. These are the speial edition (with further tweaking--At the end of Jedi, they show the Hayden Christensen with Yoda and Obi-Wan, instead of the Darth Vader that we've seen in the past.)

Last week, they released individual movies with both the Special Edition, and the Original, Unaltered version (Han Shoots first, no Jabba in ep IV, which isn't actually called ep IV, etc.) Special effects aren't as good, but Star Wars Purists will be pleased to finally have the Originals on DVD in their untouched form. I haven't checked them out yet, but I understand that they are basically the laserdisc versions slapped onto DVD. The picture is Non-Anamorphic Widescreen (2.35:1) and the sound is 2 channel Dolby Digital.

I plan on picking up the movies soon, call me a sucker.