Graphics Card Advice =)

alvin138

Hello,

i plan on buying a video card this week, and i was wondering whether or not i should buy the Geforce3 ti 500, or the Radeon 8500. i heard that the Radeon is a little bit better than the Geforce3 ti, but Radeon has had some problem with drivers, and the Geforce is like a standard and stuff. but that was the same with Intel, it seemed to be the standard, and then AMD came along as well. so can anyone give me some advice? i like the fact that the Geforce3 ti 500 comes with a lifetime warranty, but then again, in like 1 yr the card is going to be obselete or sumthin =p so yeah, i guess that's about it. thanks

MAximum PC used to just LOVE the GF3 but now their fav is the ATI. i used to have the old ATI and loved it. It was great. now i have an nVidia TNT2... i think, it is ok but not great.

I would get teh ATI 8500. got a perfect 10 from maximum PC and also the kick *** award. if youwant a copy of the two revies they did of it, just email me or get me on AIM Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

• 3 weeks later...

Alvin,

I have the ASUS GeForce 3 Ti500 and the ATI 8500(the Ti500 sits in my main system now,with an Athlon XP 1900+).

Both cards have the goods(hardware wise)the GeForce has much better drivers(Win98,ME,2000 or XP),I use Win XP Pro and the GeForce Ti500 works like a charm in all the games I play(many,many when time is free).

The Radeon 8500 wile a better card(hardware)is NOT up to par because of the damn ATI(known for driver related problems)...problems.

Still for visual quality 2D and 3D the ATI is KING,for performnance right now is very close to the monster horsepower Ti500.When and IF drivers improve the ATI may take a lead over the Ti500!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

from what I have read... ATI does have better 2D performance

As for 3D.. GF3 is prolly gonna be better.

Im gonna stop there being that I really dont know much about these 2 and Im gonna send ya to HardOCP & HardForum

enjoy.

//Use the search feature of the forums.

------------------

1GHz TBird

Abit KT7A-RAID

Kingmax 256MB PC150 256MB PC133 Infinion

Annihilator2 32MB GT§

Intel Pro100+Management NIC

Promise Ultra100

IBM 75GXP 45GB ATA100 Maxtor DMP6800 27.2GB ATA66

Plextor 16X10X40A §ony 12X DVD

§BLive! 5.1

AOpen HX08 Full Tower 300W

§ony CPD-G400 19" Triny

ProMedia 4.1

This message has been edited by Paragon on 12-11-2001 at 12:45 PM

I test the cards myself,I dont trust the self proclaimed know all sites.Some are good others plain poor copycat material.

The Ti200 or Ti500 are the best cards for gaming.End of story.

The Ti200 represents top value,great performance(close to a Ti500 if overclocked)and much cheaper!

ATI drivers while improving are far from perfection.

Sad ATI Radeon 2(8000 series)cards are great the drivers mine them.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Yes HardOCP is a good site.The first place I visit in the morning and after work.

They have their coolers ranked just the way I do,so I can trust them.Good articles,no fluff,just facts,no bull.

As for vid cards for games the Ti500 takes the 8500 Radeon to the cleaners with current drivers.Plus the Ti500 can be overclocked to further widen the gap.

Ti cards...GREAT DRIVERS...GREAT CARDS...GREAT PERFORMANCE

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• 3 weeks later...

It is depends on what the purpose of a graphics card. If you're doing some sort of 3D Graphic/Rendering job then 3DLabs Oxygen/Wildcart will be fit. But for games GF3 or ATI is more suitable.

I myself believe that ATI will give you better video display quality based on their reputation and my experience.

It will need more time for us to have the real winner between GF3 and Radeon.

well i do alot of lanning so i see these vid cards side by side and the best deal is the 8500le(170$).before the gf3 i would of said the ati for sure but the graphic qaulity between the two are now unnoticeable.and i really cant see any 2d qaulity diff anymore either.although to be honest i mostly game on my system so i dont know if id be the best judge of 2d.if you do decide on a nvidia i would suggest the plain old gf3.by far the best bang for the buck.

as far as ati drivers,yes they are alittle slow in comming out but the ones now close any performance gap there was and any additional updates will outpace the comp evenmore.

------------------

tornado 1000, 300w ps

epox 8kha+

xp1600+@1.64

pal6035, delta bl

512mb case2 pc2400

radeon 8500

75 gxp 45gig

sony 48x,plextor 12/10/32

sbl value

opti v95

v2-400's (looks like the pro's outlasted another system :))